One Way States Support Terrorism

Here is a revealing article in The New York Sun that illustrates one way states support terrorism and why we cannot count on moderate Muslims for help: LINK (Probably requires free registration, but it is worth it.)

Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabia, numerous Egyptian madrassas, Friday sermons in the mosques and Egyptian government officials have convinced the victims of the recent attacks in Sharm El-Sheik that the Americans and the Israelis are responsible. No Muslim, they are told, and certainly not bin Laden, would ever engage in such brutality. It is only the CIA and the Mossad that engage in the mass murder of Muslims.

The author’s point is that this propaganda trumps any “moderation” on the part of Muslims that swallow it. Every act of Islamic terrorism against Muslims increases the hatred of America and Israel.

This is what we get for the $2 billion in foreign aid we send Egypt every year.

Is there any evidence that this is a widespread view, rather than just being an anecdotal tale told by a single journalist, involving 2 groups of people? What percentage of Egyptians believe that Israel/America is responsible? Most? A majority?

Is there any evidence that this is a widespread view, rather than just being an anecdotal tale told by a single journalist, involving 2 groups of people? What percentage of Egyptians believe that Israel/America is responsible? Most? A majority?

If the victims of the attack have been convinced by the propaganda, I don’t know why the non-victims would reach a different conclusion.

Besides, haven’t you heard? Even though the Koran says, “We shall put terror into the hearts of the non-believers” and “Kill the infidels where you find them”, it also says, “There is no compulsion in religion.” Therefore, Islam does not condone terrorism. Therefore, no Muslim can be possibly be guilty of terrorism. Q.E.D., the whole thing is a Zionist/Crusader plot. Roll tape of Americans firing at terro-- no, resistance fighters, in Falluja, followed by bloody hospital scenes and wailing mother with dead baby.

Hey, if all you watch is jihad-TV what else would you believe?

Besides, haven’t you heard?  Even though the Koran says, “We shall put terror into the hearts of the non-believers” and “Kill the infidels where you find them”, it also says, “There is no compulsion in religion.”   Therefore, Islam does not condone terrorism.   Therefore, no Muslim can be possibly be guilty of terrorism.   Q.E.D.

But this is obviously nonsense since many Muslims believe that other Muslims are guilty of terrorism. Shall I start quoting obscure parts of the Bible out of context to tell you what ‘all Christians’ believe?

On a sidenote, the proper context of the “Kill the infidels where you find them” line has been explained so many times that its incredible people still bring it up. But even if we pretend context doesnt exist and treat those statements as being absolute, your argument still doesnt make any sense. How can you interpret “There is no compulsion in religion” to mean “Muslims cant be guilty of terrorism”?

Hey, if all you watch is jihad-TV what else would you believe?

Do you have any evidence that Al-Jazeera has blamed Israel or America for the attack?

After some book claiming that Israel and America were behind 9/11 sold very succesfully in France, I would not be shocked that Muslims in Egypt would believe the same about these recent attacks.

After some book claiming that Israel and America were behind 9/11 sold very succesfully in France, I would not be shocked that Muslims in Egypt would believe the same about these recent attacks.

Well, people often like a good conspiracy theory so its hardly surprising that books like that sell well (compare it to the success of the Da Vinci code). But even with the anti-American sentiments prevalent in France, I would be quite surprised if most people honestly believed that America/Israel was responsible.

However, I will say that I dont think speculation about the US being responsible for 9/11 was entirely unjustified. The events at the time struck me as being bizarre (it was reported that the plane was allowed to hit the tower without being shot down, despite being tailed by military planes which had received explicit instructions not to fire). When you combine this with a) certainly influential figures within the administration being known to stongly favour middle-east intervention as part of PNAC, B) the fact that previous American administrations have discussed staging fake ‘terrorist’ attacks on the nation in order to produce support for unpopular wars, c) the fact that Israel has done similar things in the past, albeit on a far smaller scale (the Lavon affair), and d) the popularity of Pearl Harbour conspiracy theories (which imo seem to have a bit of weight behind them, although I’d hesitate to say I was a believer), I think speculation that the US/Israel allowed 9/11 to happen was not without merit. There’s very little that I would put past the American government, although I dont really believe 9/11 conspiracy theories. I suppose you can call it a ‘boy who cried wolf’ situation.

Well, people often like a good conspiracy theory so its hardly surprising that books like that sell well (compare it to the success of the Da Vinci code). But even with the anti-American sentiments prevalent in France, I would be quite surprised if most people honestly believed that America/Israel was responsible.

However, I will say that I dont think speculation about the US being responsible for 9/11 was entirely unjustified. The events at the time struck me as being bizarre (it was reported that the plane was allowed to hit the tower without being shot down, despite being tailed by military planes which had received explicit instructions not to fire). When you combine this with a) certainly influential figures within the administration being known to stongly favour middle-east intervention as part of PNAC, B) the fact that previous American administrations have discussed staging fake ‘terrorist’ attacks on the nation in order to produce support for unpopular wars, c) the fact that Israel has done similar things in the past, albeit on a far smaller scale (the Lavon affair), and d) the popularity of Pearl Harbour conspiracy theories (which imo seem to have a bit of weight behind them, although I’d hesitate to say I was a believer), I think speculation that the US/Israel allowed 9/11 to happen was not without merit. There’s very little that I would put past the American government, although I dont really believe 9/11 conspiracy theories. I suppose you can call it a ‘boy who cried wolf’ situation.

This is entirely irrational.

Besides, haven’t you heard?  Even though the Koran says, “We shall put terror into the hearts of the non-believers” and “Kill the infidels where you find them”, it also says, “There is no compulsion in religion.”   Therefore, Islam does not condone terrorism.   Therefore, no Muslim can be possibly be guilty of terrorism.   Q.E.D.

But this is obviously nonsense since many Muslims believe that other Muslims are guilty of terrorism.

I think what they do not want to believe is that Muslims are willing to kill fellow Muslims.

The point, which you seem to have missed, is that the victims of the attack are willing to believe it was a Zionist/Crusader plot, and there is no reason to think the non-victims have reached a different conclusion. At least, no reason that I have heard.

The author’s conclusion, which I agree with, is that under these circumstances we cannot expect the “moderate Muslims” to help stop the terrorists.

The argument quoted above is the argument offered by those interviewed in the article.

Shall I start quoting obscure parts of the Bible out of context to tell you what ‘all Christians’ believe?

I have not tried to tell you what all Muslims believe. The article addresses what the “moderates” believe in one case.

It is clear that some Muslims believe Muslims are terrorists – because a significant percentage think terrorism is justified. In a recent Pew survey of six Muslim countries – Indonesia, Morocco, Pakistan, Turkey, Indonesia, Lebanon – 16.9% of the respondents said that suicide bomb attacks against innocent civilian targets are either “sometimes justified” or “often justified”.

Only 59.5% were willing to say such mass murders are “never justified.”

At the same time, 51.9% of those respondents said there were “serious threats” to Islam around the world. What do they believe is threatening Islam if not America and Israel?

I think what you have here is a situation in which Muslims cherry-pick their excuses. " Muslims don’t commit terrorism, and if you prove to me that they do, it means it was justified and they had no choice."

On a sidenote, the proper context of the “Kill the infidels where you find them” line has been explained so many times that its incredible people still bring it up.

Indeed, not only are people continuing to “bring it up”, Muslims are continuing to mass-murder “the infidels where they find them”. And the numbers above indicate a good chunk of the Muslim world thinks it’s just fine to do so.

In fact, some Muslim’s allegiance to the Koran’s commandment is so strong they are now mass-murdering fellow Muslims that refuse to assist in the mass-murder of the infidels. They are even mass-murdering Muslims for the crime of merely associating with the infidels (associating with non-believers is another no-no according to the Koran).

It appears that a lot of Muslims didn’t get the memo that “explained” that passage about “kill the infidels”.

Like Christianity, Islam is full of contradictory exhortations. In a faith-based doctrine, with reason out the door, there is no way to determine which of the contradictory claims is “the real meaning". The claim that Islam advocates terrorism is just as valid as the claim that it does not. With faith, anything goes.

But even if we pretend context doesnt exist and treat those statements as being absolute, your argument still doesnt make any sense. How can you interpret “There is no compulsion in religion” to mean “Muslims cant be guilty of terrorism”?

The moment they commit the terror, they cease to be Muslims – or so the argument goes.

Understand that I am not offering that argument. It’s just one more way Muslim apologists try to dissociate Islam from the terrorists it is spawning around the globe.

Hey, if all you watch is jihad-TV what else would you believe?

Do you have any evidence that Al-Jazeera has blamed Israel or America for the attack?

Al-Jazeera does not have to blame America or Israel. All they have to do is run interviews with those who do. I have seen such interviews.

Are we to understand that you consider Al-Jazeera an objective news outlet?

However, I will say that I dont think speculation about the US being responsible for 9/11 was entirely unjustified. The events at the time struck me as being bizarre (it was reported that the plane was allowed to hit the tower without being shot down, despite being tailed by military planes which had received explicit instructions not to fire). When you combine this with a) certainly influential figures within the administration being known to stongly favour middle-east intervention as part of PNAC, :smiley: the fact that previous American administrations have discussed staging fake ‘terrorist’ attacks on the nation in order to produce support for unpopular wars, c) the fact that Israel has done similar things in the past, albeit on a far smaller scale (the Lavon affair), and d) the popularity of Pearl Harbour conspiracy theories (which imo seem to have a bit of weight behind them, although I’d hesitate to say I was a believer), I think speculation that the US/Israel allowed 9/11 to happen was not without merit. There’s very little that I would put past the American government, although I dont really believe 9/11 conspiracy theories. I suppose you can call it a ‘boy who cried wolf’ situation.

I will say this much on the notion of an ‘inside job’ being the case here:

Yes, I find it really unlikely that not one–but FOUR jet planes could be taken over by Arabs with… boxcutters, especially when I had the experience on a flight from New York to California of having the plane held up for 20 minutes because one passenger did not board at the gate. How could four planes be allowed to take off when forty some-odd passengers were no-shows on each flight? Something smells fishy about this whole thing.

Planes are not held for no-shows. It’s different if a passenger checks in and does not board. If a passenger checks baggage and does not board – that’s the red flag.

Planes are not held for no-shows. It’s different if a passenger checks in and does not board. If a passenger checks baggage and does not board – that’s the red flag.

THat’s what I meant by no-show. The luggage was checked in, but the passenger was not in the terminal and they held up our flight because of that. Now that makes me wonder why of the 100+ people that checked in, the planes were allowed to take off with 40% of the passengers not boarding.

Muslim leaders agree to fight terror

Friday, December 09, 2005, 00:06

Mecca: Muslim leaders from across the globe agreed on Thursday on measures to combat terrorism and defend the image of Islam at a summit in the holy city of Mecca.

The leaders wound up a two-day summit of the Organization of the Islamic Conference pledging to “update national laws to criminalize all acts of terrorism as well as its financing and incitement.”

In a Mecca Declaration read out in a final session, they called upon their peoples to “combat forcefully the preachers of sedition and deviation, who aim to distort the peaceful principles of Islam.”

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said that Muslim leaders who met in Mecca, western Saudi Arabia, had agreed to “combat terrorism and extremism and stressed the moderate nature of Islam.”

They stressed the need to stop blaming outside forces for problems in the Muslim world and focus on cooperation.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14044035

This is good news, if they are serious.

One can only hope that they are serious.