My question (perhaps this belongs in questions about Objectivism, but it is aimed squarely at political philosophy, so I feel it belongs better in this area) is fairly simple:
How do you come to own land? I mean this in the economic sense of the word land, meaning not labor, or capital. Whales, rocks, the moon, stars, real estate (in terms of a plot of regular-old land, not counting the house or whatever), are all land. How do you own it?
For example, how if I find an island, or what I think is an island, does that give me the right to claim all of it as mine? What about if I go all the way around it, map it, and then build a small house on it, even going as far as to set up a security system and arm myself against intruders? Do I own it now? It doesn’t seem to me that you do, not in a moral sense. All you’ve done is seal it off from others and threaten them not to step foot on it or else you’ll shoot them.
Obviously the critical point is that the government grants you a contract to it. However, there seems to be a problem. How does the government get to give you a contract? Its simply claimed that land as part of its territory, which amounts to much the same problem as with the individual ownership problem. I understand that a government has to have a claim to the use of retributive force in a given geographic area. But does that then grant it the ability to grant by fiat an economic value to someone?
I have read some about Georgism, and the idea that land is by right the common resource of everyone (since the government does not have the right to grant economic favors to some rather than others, and there is no other way to objectively decide ownership of land) sounds rational. The solution he proposes is fairly simple. Since it is self-evident that some people need to be able to keep other people from laying claim to a certain area, they have to pay for the right to exclude everyone else. The amount is the land rental value of the land, which is basically the value of controlling who can use the property. The receipts from this land value fee/tax would be distributed to the rest of the population (or used to pay for the government in the first place) so as to give every member of society their lost value (from not having been the recipient of government’s graces).
I’m not particularly interested in the topic of the funding of government, since I think a fixed fee of a percentage of the value of all contracts to be enforced by the government (or the payment of all costs in enforcing any given contract that doesn’t have that insurance) is perfectly justifiable and would suffice for that task. No, my main line of inquiry is about the claim that land (land not actively used by someone, or land which hasn’t been claimed) is justifiably the common “property” of all, or the “property” of none, and that the only way to have a claim to property is for government to make an arbitrary decision to grant one person’s claim and exclude everyone else from the land, thereby conferring upon the recipient of the claim economic advantage over others. Is that true, and if that is the case, shouldn’t that economic advantage be reclaimed and given back to everyone else?
There is very little as far as I have read on this subject (initial claim of ownership over land) in Rand’s books, and it doesn’t seem to me that the above argument interferes with any claim of Objectivism (since it says that the actual products of someone’s efforts, such as a house or the gold from a mine, is under the rightful claim of the producer, since he produced it). That’s why I’m posting this topic, to discuss it with others familiar with the philosophy.