Performing Faure's Pavane

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pn3sq4Sk27U

Pavane, Op. 50 by Gabriel Faure performed by yours truly on classical guitar. This piece took me two weeks to learn and I consider it to be my greatest guitar achievement to date. Enjoy!

If you like classical guitar then keep an eye on my channel, I’ll be uploading more pieces in the future.

You’re still hesitant in places, which is to be expected. I felt this was fluently played, regardless. Just need to work on those trick bits some more. I’d like to see you play this a month from now with more practice.

What I need the most practice with is playing in front of a camera :stuck_out_tongue: . For some reason I get incredibly nervous when the camera is on, even though I can perform in front of over 100 people with no pressure. I think it’s because the tape costs money, haha.

I’ll re-record once I’m more comfortable though, thanks for the comment.

I like this piece, but had only heard a much different version. Sounds nice so far–keep up the good work!

Curiosity–are you able to play some things without looking at your left hand? I had a habit of always looking, and it came back to bite me when I had to perform some pieces I hadn’t memorized yet.

Also, are you using standard videotape to record? If so, how are you transferring the video to your computer? I’ve wanted to transfer some videos to computer for some time now, including performances.

Classical guitar is beautiful, and your performance wasn’t bad (you are a beginner?). Are you teaching yourself? If you can afford it every once in a while, teachers are usually worth the money. You still need to do all the practicing, but they will steer you away from bad habits and into great technique.

Actually I can play that piece without looking at the hand but usually I mess up the sliding parts, so for efficiency’s sake I watched the hand while recording so I wouldn’t have to do re-takes.

I am using 8mm film, transfered onto the computer with a device called Cameramate. They sell it at Best Buy I believe.

I am a beginner, I’ve been doing classical for 2 months now. I am actually a classical guitar major in college so I do get lessons, but since I was on winter break when I learned that piece I have not yet had a chance to consult with my instructor on it. That piece was a huge step ahead of what I’d previously been playing.