Hello everyone,
This is a multi-faceted question.
Does anyone else here prefer to be single? Is it OK (morally) to choose to not be in a relationship?
Short background: I’m a female in my late 20s. I have always found great joy and value in my projects. I love my career, I am involved in clubs and groups that interest me, but most of my productive values are things that I do alone, such as composing music, running an online craft business, and exercising alone at my own pace. Whenever I have taken those “values hierarchy” rating quizzes, relationships and family have scored near the bottom, whereas independence and productivity have scored at the top. Growing up I never envisioned myself getting married or having children, because there are so many other things I value more, and being in a relationship would prevent me from achieving those other goals. I am proud to say I am a professor or a musician or a business owner; I don’t gain any sense of self-respect from labeling myself as a “girlfriend.”
I have been in a committed relationship for over two years. I was not seeking it but discovered that I admired many of the traits my boyfriend possesses, and we started dating. However, my constant struggle has been attempting to balance my interests and goals with relationship stuff, and I’m at the breaking point. I really care about my boyfriend, I would hate to hurt his feelings, and I know I would miss him. But I recognize that being with him— or anyone else— prevents me from achieving what I want to do. (I discuss this with him in-depth on a regular basis, and he seems to understand, but I’m not convinced he understands how much anguish this problem causes me.) I suppose a quick way of stating the problem is that I “like” being with him, but I do not “value” it as much as I value my personal and career goals. So I’m constantly upset with myself for putting temporary enjoyment (making out, watching a movie with him) above things I truly do value (composing, working on my home business, etc.)
My reasons for not ending the relationship are:
-
I do “like” and care about him.
-
Societal influences are starting to sway me into thinking I “should” be in a relationship, even though growing up I was more confident about resisting that pressure. Relatives you see once a year never ask what great things you’ve achieved that year; they ask whether you have a boyfriend. Classmates at a high school reunion don’t ask whether you’re a millionaire; they ask whether you’re married with kids. I used to dismiss these pressures but once I started dating I started falling into the mentality that I “should” desire a relationship.
-
I have issues with anxiety and OCD, for which I have talked to multiple therapists— mainstream as well as a prominent and well-respected Objectivist. They all suggest that it’s impossible to truly prefer being alone, and that by staying alone in my rigid routine in my neat and orderly house, I’m preventing myself from personal growth and “blocking” something in my psyche so that I don’t have to form close bonds with anyone. I want the freedom to be able to hike in a secluded forest for a week without anyone knowing where I am; they say this is childish and I need to learn to be accountable to others. Growing up I would have said this was nonsense, because I truly do enjoy AND VALUE doing all of the things I do when I am alone. Unfortunately, after seeing therapists for anxiety is when I began to have self-doubt about other aspects of my life, and now they’ve got me questioning whether my order of values is valid, and thinking that I “should” value relationships more than I do!
So, is it morally OK to not really value relationships, as long as I dedicate myself to pursuits that I truly enjoy and value? Am I missing something by not forcing myself to “grow” by being in relationships that prevent me from reaching my potentials in other areas of life?