Moose:
“Since this is not a serious proposal that the members of this forum draft a new US Constitution, I think it’s safe to toy with the idea just for fun.”
That’s fair enough. I guess I have the early Wittegensteinian tendency to want truth in one complete moment of inspiration rather than a building process. But building is good too.
David:
“Actually, I have in mind adding a bit and removing a bit. What I gave here was an initial addition, because it reflects some fundamental mistakes that could be corrected, and which would have broad consequences. Then I thought later I would propose changes in the existing constitution (for example, eliminating the road clause, welfare, and so on).”
Okay, so at this point it might be advantageous to have at least the preamble and the first few sections to examine and modify, no? So,
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ensure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
"Article I: Section 1: Clause 1
"All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.
"Clause 2
"The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.
"Clause 3
"No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.
"Clause 4
"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three-fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.
"Clause 5
"When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.
"Clause 6
“The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.”
So this contains everything about the House alone. Where shall we begin? We should probably strike out promoting the general Welfare, and add in the defense of every individual’s right to private property in the preamble. I like I:1:1-3 as they are. Clause 4 is already amended, and for good reason, but since I’m assuming we’ll get to the Amendments later, it might as well be said. As for the rest, the only thing that might be controversial is granting the House the sole Power of Impeachment. Should it have the power at all (rather than, say, vested in the Senate) or should that power be shared?
“I don’t understand the question. Why would we need to be lawyers of scholars of legal history to be able to do this?”
You don’t need to be a soldier to fight a war, but it helps.
[Editted for style]