AsiA : It sounds as though you ascribe to the intrinsic theory of value.
I had to think on this a bit, AisA. As it turns out, you are right; I do indeed subscribe to stipulatory intrinsic values. The stipulations are simple:
-
A human being has intrinsic value; sentience and conscience are prime factors of the definition of human, in this case
-
An evil human being abdicates their own value; anti-life has no value, nor do any who propagate it.
Thus, I do not value anybody who does not value me. I do not believe a chair has intrinsic value. I do not believe a service has intrinsic value. I do not believe a moral code or any other normative concept has intrinsic value. But a human life does, by default, until such time as the value of life is discarded by the individual, or anti-life values are embraced by them.
MisterSwig : The difference between murder and self-defense is the answer to the question: Who started it?
And what of accidental deaths? Would the survivor of a fatal car crash, where no evil intent was present, be guilty of murder or mere self-defense?
MisterSwig : Self-defense is the act of protecting yourself from the initiators of force… Retribution is a matter of justice… We execute murderers for their crimes.
Capital punishment is an issue in and of itself. I would be interested in taking part in a discussion if you care to start the topic.
RadCap : Force is the appropriate concept here.
Duly noted.
RadCap : Responsive force seeks to prevent this replacement.
A soldier in a firefight mistakes a fleeing civilian youth for an enemy, and shoots him dead. What has been prevented? (viz Intrinsic value of a human being.)
A soldier recognizes a fleeing civilian youth as such, and shoots him dead anyway. (He woulda grown up to be one of 'em.) Has value replacement been prevented here? (viz Intrinsic value of a human being.)
If, in any of the above hypotheticals, it is determined that the individuals in question are at fault, guilty of wrongfully initiating force, a fitting reaction is necessary. If they are morally sound individuals, they will recognize their transgression and kill themselves for having wrongfully killed another, yes? If not, then an objective third party is justified in carrying out any retributive… er, responsive force, and since they have used deadly force, they are to be killed, yes?
What if they had used debilitating force or mutilating force? Should the response be wholly reciprocal?
Intent defines an action, and thus the reaction. This is the role of the conscience, that sector of reason whose purpose it is to make value judgments. As the conscience is a factor in determining the action, so too should it be a factor in determining the response.
RadCap : Their lives were NOT a value. In fact, their lives were decidedly ANTI-life.
I concur with all statements on this. I do not propose a replacement of these statements, but an addendum. What I lament is that they chose to use their minds, almost inarguably great minds, for ANTI-life. thus, their deaths are not lamentable; their choices are.
i.e. Some people need a bullet in the head, e.g. murderous dictators. These are people who have abdicated their right to life, and that is a shame, for life is to be valued.