(This is an article I wrote for my romantic advice blog for men, The Leading Man.)
In 1981, The Pointer Sisters released a song called “Slow Hand.” I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with its lyrics:
I want a man with a slow hand
I want a lover with an easy touch
I want somebody who will spend some time
Not come and go in a heated rush
You might have noticed that virtually every “pick-up artist” selling a course on the Internet emphasizes the importance of speed.
Years ago, one of the first prominent gurus in this area had a program called Speed Seduction. A related online newsgroup became the virtual birthplace of the modern PUA movement: alt.seduction.fast.
(I recently saw a website for a program called “Same Night Seduction” — presumably if you follow its instructions, you can meet a woman, take her back to your place, and have sex with her the very same night!)
Why this near-obsession with things happening quickly? Because that’s what guys want — particularly young, underdeveloped, immature guys.
Young guys are horny. They’re self-absorbed, obsessed with sex, and they want it now.
The PUA gurus are selling, for the most part, to men’s weaknesses. They tell guys what they want to hear, not what they need to understand.
Sexy, seductive, romantic men take it slow. We’ve cultivated that “slow hand” that a woman craves.
We’re willing to “spend some time,” as the song says. We’re not in a “heated rush,” unlike the crazy horn dogs!
Of course, our goal is to form a meaningful, deeply erotic relationship with a woman — we want lasting connection. PUA’s generally have one thing on their minds: “getting laid.”
Leading Men create a gourmet meal in romance and sex, not cheap fast food.
If I had one specifically sexual piece of advice to share, it would be to embed the chorus of the Pointer Sisters’ song in your memory, and mentally play it on a loop whenever you are looking to create an intimate experience.
Slow the experience way, way down. Tune in to the woman you are with. Focus on creating pleasure for her; learn to enjoy immensely your power to make her feel good.
If you are young & horny, this will undoubtably require some discipline on your part. But then, all of growing into maturity does.
Being an adult in any area of life requires that you develop the ability to move beyond the gratification of the moment, and discover what will lead to long-lasting fulfillment and enjoyment.
© 2013 Kevin Delaney