Swine Flu, Round 2

I have swine flu. Hurray! :dough:

I saw the FB post. How’s the temp? Get well and keep us posted!

It’s gotten up to 101.8 so far. It isn’t especially enjoyable.

For those trying to stay healthy I can recommend vitamin D3, it’s a great flu fighter. I am taking 2000 I/U a day. Also vitamin C or even better fresh fruit and vegetables. Indian food is good because it contains turmeric, Indians consider it a medicine and a spice.

Ayn Rand thought as long and hard as she could about every decision. Please think very hard about whether or not to take any vaccines.

Does anyone have any evidence there is anything wrong with this vaccine? I’m seeing a lot of what looks like “conspiracy theory” warnings against it, but no one has provided anything of substance that demonstrates something is or could be wrong with having the vaccination.

Does anyone have any evidence there is anything wrong with this vaccine? I’m seeing a lot of what looks like “conspiracy theory” warnings against it, but no one has provided anything of substance that demonstrates something is or could be wrong with having the vaccination.

I think you’re right. Every year people get 3 strains of flu in their vaccine. H1N1 appears to be is just another strain, and I’ve seen no argument to make me thing it is any different. There too much irrational fear of modern medicine out there.

Ayn Rand thought as long and hard as she could about every decision.

She could’ve thought at maximum capacity (that’s pretty high, in her case), and for about three days, about whether to have coffee or tea after lunch. (it would’ve taken her three days to die of thirst, while thinking) I doubt she did that.

Please think very hard about whether or not to take any vaccines.

I could think about it for months, and not come up with a decision as good as a doctor I trust will, in a matter of minutes. Unless you care to tell me something specific, that my doctor wouldn’t know (so I can point it out to him, make sure he considers it), I can’t say your advice is helpful.

What I’ll do, instead of thinking, is give my doctor a quick call, to see if I should go get a shot or not. And then, I’ll get it or not, without spending another second thinking about it. And I suspect Ayn Rand would do exactly the same, though I can’t actually know.

Fine Jake, let your doctor do the thinking for you, I don’t want to get in an argument about it. Maybe just ask if he or she is going to take it and if not why not. Thousands of doctors and nurses around the world won’t be taking it because they don’t think it’s safe.

Does anyone have any evidence there is anything wrong with this vaccine?

Nothing wrong with it that I can think of. However, the preventative effectiveness of flu vaccines is generally low.

Fine Jake, let your doctor do the thinking for you, I don’t want to get in an argument about it. Maybe just ask if he or she is going to take it and if not why not. Thousands of doctors and nurses around the world won’t be taking it because they don’t think it’s safe.

I don’t need to ask him, I trust him. And yes, the main purpose of the medical profession is to train doctors to make decisions for their patients. I shall take advantage of this, and allow my doctor to do the thinking for me.

If you think self medicating is better, then keep doing it, but please, stop trying to get others to follow your lead, because it is a stupid thing to do.

Fine Jake, let your doctor do the thinking for you, I don’t want to get in an argument about it.

You say that like it’s bad advice. Chances are that Jake’s doctor went to medical school and paid big bucks to learn lots of things that Jake has not learned about medicine and health and such. That’s why they make specialists you know, so that the lay person has someone the can consult with when they reach an area of knowledge beyond their training or education.

But by all means, ignore your doctor’s advice next time you go for a visit… well, if you go to a doctor when you have a health concern. In fact, you would probably save yourself some time and money if you didn’t go to the doctor at all. That compound fracture would probably heal itself in time anyway.

Let some fancy lawyer give you legal advice too!

Ayn Rand thought as long and hard as she could about every decision. Please think very hard about whether or not to take any vaccines.

This type of advice is meaningless in a thread like this. Obviously we should think about everything we do. However, when asked about some specific issue, advice like this is not really saying anything about the question at hand. The only honest implication is that you wish to warn people against this, while not offering specific reasons. So, it would have been more intellectually honest to come out and say: “I warn you against taking this vaccine”, instead of saying something like “think hard” which has an out-of-context plausibility while not actually saying anything different. In other words: mean what you say, or people will write you off.

Does anyone have any evidence there is anything wrong with this vaccine?

From what I can tell, the evidence is “guilt by association”, since the vaccine against 1976 swine flu was associated with Guillain-Barré syndrome. The only rule I can discern is that if there is widespread fear of swine flu, then that causes widespread fear of flu vaccines. What I find annoying is that the “science” media mentions the 1976 problem without saying anything about what actually caused this association of GBS and vaccination. If they don’t know, then why not just say “nobody knows why”? If they do know and can control for that factor, you’d think that they would actually say so.

For those trying to stay healthy I can recommend vitamin D3, it’s a great flu fighter. I am taking 2000 I/U a day. Also vitamin C or even better fresh fruit and vegetables.

2000 IU a day is not very much, unless you are eating lots of foods with Vitamin D in it or in the sun everyday. Under the commonly accepted school of thought, that’s probably enough, but under the new school of thought that’s emerging, you need and can take quite a bit more than that. I take 4000 IU per day and now that winter is setting in, I’m considering more since my sunshine time will be cut drastically.

More info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0

http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/2008/10/on-vitamin-d.shtml

http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/2009/03/mor…vitamin-d.shtml (of particular interest is Dr. Wills comment left at this blog post that talks about getting tested and how much you should take)

Hi K-Mac, I live in sunny Queensland so I get lots of sunlight. In a recent interview Arthur Neumann said sunlight wasn’t as effective as it used to be for supplying vitamin D. So I’m not sure what to think about that issue.

To others, thanks for the criticism. I realise if I’m going to be part of this forum I need to be more intelectually rigorous. Let’s look at what’s actually in some versions of the vaccines that might be dangerous. Mercury, which according to the pharmaceutical companies is safe at the level used. Personally I just don’t want any mercury in my body. Squalene, an adjuvant that some people claim caused Gulf War syndrome. Some swine flu vaccines contain squalene at levels higher than the vaccines given to soldiers in the war, according to Gary Null at the NYS assembly hearing on vaccines. Watch his speech on youtube, he knows a lot more about this than I do and he’s passionately anti vaccine.

What I find annoying is that the “science” media mentions the 1976 problem without saying anything about what actually caused this association of GBS and vaccination. If they don’t know, then why not just say “nobody knows why”? If they do know and can control for that factor, you’d think that they would actually say so.

You make such an excellent point. I admit that I was pretty young during that Swine Flu period. I remember my mom, a nurse, and grandma had talks about it, but other than that I only remember they hype and Johnny Carson making jokes about it.

Back on point, why hasn’t any actual journalist taken this up? Or am I just missing them? There must be some rational explaination even if it is “nobody knows”.

However, the preventative effectiveness of flu vaccines is generally low.

My experience on this follows with that idea. But do you have some data on that?

My experience on this follows with that idea. But do you have some data on that?

Not from the top of my head, but if you search for Dr. Tom Jefferson and Cochrane Collabration you may find some data.

interview with him about fears of swine flu

Not from the top of my head, but if you search for Dr. Tom Jefferson and Cochrane Collabration you may find some data.

interview with him about fears of swine flu

Thanks, Sophia! That helps me with a direction.

One thing I haven’t seen addressed in this thread is the fact about how overblown this thing is in the media. I don’t know how it is in the US, but over here in Croatia the media, as well as the government, are spreading panic for some reason. As far as I can see, H1N1 is no more dangerous than seasonal flu, so why all the fuss? If I understand it correctly, the H1N1 strain isn’t even new. The mortality rate of H1N1 is the same as that of a seasonal flu.

Any comments on their reaction? Thanks.