The whole idea of a ‘sense of life’ intrigues me. It’s one of these fundamental parts of a human which is meant to be formed as a result of all the choices one makes, yet it is something that I really don’t think I understand.
Ayn Rand had a positive sense of life; before I read any of her work (well actually, it was still a while after that, and I’m still working on it) I had a rather negative sense of life. These are the two definitions of a sense of life that I understand as existing: the positive and the negative. The positive sense of life sees life being full of opportunity (or the opportunity to create opportunity for oneself); the negative sense of life sees the world as being inherently destructive to his life, with everything set against me.
But see, there can’t be two possible senses of life, with people fitting someone in between, otherwise finding the perfect partner in life would be insanely easy. You’d just find someone who was really positive about life. At this point, I think it’s because I’m confusing ‘sense of life’ with ‘benevolent/malevolent universe premise’, and I think it’s a confusion that led to my last relationship, where I figured, “she has a good sense of life” when what I really saw was “she’s got a fairly positive attitude to life, and the ability to fulfil her values”.
Romantic compatibilities center mostly around sense of life, rather than particular identical accomplishments and particular identical values
If the sense of life, as Thomas M Miovas puts it, is fundamental to a relationship, then it has to be really unique. Otherwise, two Objectivists could easily fall in love with the same woman, and assuming both had the same positive outlook on life, and were both virtuous and rational, then there would be no way to say which one had the more suitable sense of life.
So, really, what is a sense of life, beyond just sensing one’s one ability to life? Is it some strange melding of one’s implicit and explicit values? Is it a matter of how two people try to cross a canyon (by this, I mean, one might take a plane, the other build a bridge, and something in either one could attract or repel the woman [though I can’t really see why, hence my asking])?
I just feel like a ‘sense of life’ is really limited, as far as I understand it. Love is confusing enough a field as it is, without trying to work out a person’s implicit values!
P.S. My copy of Tara Smith’s ‘Normative Ethics’ arrived in the post today, so perhaps you have a page reference I should read too? Or perhaps references to any part of her work?