It sounds cliche not melodramatic and I mean it in a sympathetic way. I don’t believe there’s anything unnatural in the way you feel.
The stage between sleep and wake is a window that allows us to see our mind more “integrally” or in another “whole” way (as we can glimpse BOTH our states of mind while dreaming and while being awake, almost at the same time). That is why awakening and going to sleep are the phases where most normal typical psychological troubles become obviously evident (like people who have trouble going to sleep).
you say of that time when you awake to a new day (after spending hours digesting thoughts in very different cosmos within your mind)
I’d be happy for just to a neutral state of mind but not anything less, if there’s no reason to be feeling anything special
but there IS reason for feeling something both special and intense. There is no reason however to feel neutral, that would be a feat to accomplish.
you have every valid reason to feel angst during that time (expressed in either emptiness, or mild depression, whatever).
I’ve found myself in that situation a lot. The only exceptions don’t occur naturally or by default, they occur when I purposefully set something that I really want to wake up to. For instance if when I wake up I know I’m at the beach and that the ocean expects me, I just feel joy. (for others might be the arms of a lover). But that’s ideal. Another way is to wake up wanting do something you really love doing, something you had to give up the night before due to physical stress (sleep). By doing what you like, I specifically mean the absorbing state of mind best described by Mihaly Csiksentmihalyi as “flow” .
That seems to me the best most productive and satisfying way to avoid dealing with the infinite existential questions that pervade a semi intelligent mind on a daily basis.
other popular but less satisfying ways to evade the full scope of reality include earning a living for the sake of it, raising a family (for the sake of it), drinking and doing drugs.
Flow occurs naturally so it might be hard to achieve if you’re conscious about trying to achieve it (in the same way that sometimes when you don’t remember something, you know you will eventually remember it if you stop thinking about it) . So maybe a way to begin your daily routine of achieving flow might be doing something that mildly engages you increasing difficulty gradually.
Maybe you already achieve flow and you still the same way on the mornings. Psychology is surely not clear cut, no “science” called study of the soul can be.