The Power of Polarity in Romance

Ask me a sensible, non-hostile, non-dishonest question which pertains to the article I have written, and I’m more than happy to respond to it.

Nice qualifiers that allow you to ignore everybody, as you do.

These are probably dishonest, unrelated, or hostile questions, but for starters, as I already asked in my first post here: What is fundamentally different about homosexual and heterosexual relationships? Guessing your, “One is a MAN and one is a WOMAN,” response, so what? Two individuals with thinking brains become interested in each other enough to hang around and have sex.

This may be pushing it, it’s probably too hostile, but what, precisely and exactly, is “masculinity” and “femininity” to you? This will have to be something where I can’t come back and say, “But women are strong, too. And why can’t a strong woman and a “weak” man have an enjoyable relationship together?”

Those are only two questions, probably failing your qualifier test. If they don’t, I’m sure this “simple” topic will be easy for you to answer.

What the hell are you talking about??

 

Ask me a sensible, non-hostile, non-dishonest question which pertains to the article I have written, and I’m more than happy to respond to it.

That’s not a proper Leading Man response!

 

According to this post, Leading Men “don’t talk negatively, and we don’t ever feel the need to insult anyone (or anything)!”

 

Kevin’s response is very negative and insulting. It’s not Leading Man stuff.

 

 

Here’s more from the same post on what Leading Men don’t do:

 

:black_small_square: “Always looking for approval, puts others down.”

 

:black_small_square: “Feels the need to one-up others when in a group setting, you can tell he needs to feel like he’s the best. A truly confident man wouldn’t care what anyone thought.”

 

 

 

Characterizing criticism of one’s ideas as hostile and dishonest is a form of putting others down and trying to one-up them rather than to have the confidence to answer their questions. A confident person would address others’ substance. He wouldn’t be thin-skinned and defensive. In contrast, Kevin’s response above is fragile, weak, emotional and irrational.

 

J

 

Nice qualifiers that allow you to ignore everybody, as you do.

Every one of us us “allowed” to ignore anyone we choose. I choose to ignore you. You are thoroughly dishonest, and you contribute nothing of substance to these discussions.

 

Every one of us us “allowed” to ignore anyone we choose. I choose to ignore you. You are thoroughly dishonest, and you contribute nothing of substance to these discussions.

“Thoroughly dishonest” is a serious accusation which should be accompanied by evidence.

I’m not the only one you ignore. You simply ignore all criticisms and questions, period.

Every one of us us “allowed” to ignore anyone we choose. I choose to ignore you. You are thoroughly dishonest, and you contribute nothing of substance to these discussions.

Actually, he has contributed a lot. Unlike you.

You don’t appear to be capable of having a grownup discussion. You seem to expect to give your half-baked opinions and if anyone is critical of them, you pout that they’re hostile and dishonest and big bad meanies. You throw little tantrums. It’s not the behavior of a leading man, but of a petulant child.

J

I’m not very interested in the topic of traditional gender roles and the norms of heterosexual relationships, but one of my criminal justice books has an interesting section about it. I wanted to share it here (is that legal? :worry: ) since Delaney has not provided any statistics about gender roles in his posts. This snippet explains traditional gender roles in intimate hetero relationships (see “Why Gender Matters” p88-89). It also seeks to explain the cause of the US’ high rate of teen pregnancy (it has the highest rate out of all the developed countries- see p91) and to show how traditional gender roles stigmatize women. If you read through the entire chapter, you’ll notice that the traditional concepts of masculinity and feminity described there (and also described in Delaney’s posts, Rand’s fiction, etc) cause many statistically documented problems…

 

Source: http://www.sunypress.edu/p-5053-fighting-for-girls.aspx

SUNY_Series_in_Women_Crime_and_Criminology_Fighting_for_Girls_New_Perspectives_on_Gender_and_Violence_94_to_109.pdf (2.14 MB)

My writings on romance have nothing to do with “traditional gender roles.”

My writings on romance have nothing to do with “traditional gender roles.”

They do, whether you realize it or not. I mean, most people here seem to notice assumptions you’ve taken for granted.

 I would think that would be natural.  When I discuss relationships I naturally asume the same thing since my only reference is my own relationship with my wife.  It’s important however to be aware of it. 

On 10/11/2013 at 4:03 PM, KevinD said:

(This is an article I wrote for my romantic advice blog for men, The Leading Man.)

…

I completely agree with your post here. I like this concept you have of a “Leading Man”. It’s too bad your blog is down, I wish I could read more of your thoughts about that concept.

Definitely agree that sexual differences are an enormously good thing and ought to be specifically appreciated / positively stressed and celebrated. I think guys who aren’t comfortable or aware of these differences, whether they are being respectful or modern or merely too narrowly intellectual in their interests, not only end up with friendships at best instead of romantic relationships, but… there are fundamental human values possible to men and women in romantic relationships that come from the masculine/feminine polarity.

The value of a healthy masculine/feminine romantic relationship is nearly as fundamental a value to man as that of his life or of his rational mind. In an ideal romantic relationship, there is an extreme connection of profound significance between a man and a woman. Physically and psychologically man and woman are complementary, and in a deep sense, a completion of their respective identities.

I’m curious how you would describe “the challenge that her femininity poses to you”. I’d agree there is a kind of “challenge” which is important and valuable - though not in the sense that it is a struggle. I’m not very comfortable with the level of struggle with which Ayn Rand portrays romantic relationships in her fiction. Whether it’s Dominique/Roark or Dagny/Galt or other examples from her early fiction, the portrayal of men and women as enemies with their whole romance defined by their struggle against each other doesn’t really demonstrate the values involved. I don’t know of a single case where Rand portrayed two people actually being together in an ideal relationship, the story always ends right after they finally get together.