14 hours ago, MisterSwig said:
What is motivation? And how does it relate to purpose?
Let me first say that I think StrictlyLogical makes a good point about the context of Rand’s remarks – she is describing “motivation” as a literary device and compositional tool, just as I might describe “plot.” If I were to describe plot, there are not necessarily moral lessons to take from my description; or at least, such was not necessarily my intention.
I also agree with SL that the OP is somewhat difficult to parse. Or at least I find it so. I have not yet identified a central argument with which to agree or disagree – and so I will treat my own response as more of an “exploration of ideas,” rather than try to argue for or against, or make a particular point.
You’ve asked “what is motivation” and “how does it relate to purpose.” Can we first determine that there are two separate concepts “motivation” and “purpose,” and can we relate them to reality such that we understand the nature/meaning of these concepts? (Note that by “purpose,” I mean in the ordinary sense of “having a purpose to do something”; not necessarily Purpose as a cardinal virtue, which is a much more specific idea; I expect that this speaks best to your meaning, since you speak of choosing to pursue a mate as an example, and etc.)
There are common uses of “motivation,” at least, that I might treat as roughly identical to what I would also mean by some uses of “purpose.” If I were to stipulate that the chicken had crossed the road and ask you the chicken’s purpose, I expect that you would answer “to get to the other side.” Should I expect a different answer, if I’d asked about the chicken’s motivation? I don’t believe so; I think that we would ordinarily say that the chicken’s motivation was equally “to get to the other side.”
“Motivation” is obviously related to “motive,” and when I look up “define motive” on Yahoo! and “define purpose,” here is what I initially see (“Powered by Oxford Dictionaries,” so Yahoo! tells me):
“motive - a reason for doing something…”
“purpose - the reason for which something is done…”
This comports with my understanding of these terms, in this usage. But maybe there is nuance or meaning that “motivation” captures which is absent from “purpose,” which I am failing to identify? Or maybe there is a different salient use for “motivation” altogether.
Quote
Ayn Rand wrote:
Quote
What do we mean, in real life, when we say that we do not understand a person? We mean that we do not understand why he acts as he does. And when we say that we know a person well, we mean that we understand his actions and know what to expect of him. What is it that we know? His motivation.
She goes on to describe motivation as:
Quote
… a man’s basic premises and values that form his character and move him to action–and in order to understand a man’s character, it is the motivation behind his actions that we must understand. To know “what makes a man tick,” we must ask: “What is he after?”
(“Basic Principles of Literature,” The Romantic Manifesto, p. 88)
It is a second common usage of “motivation” (though not as strictly related to “motive” in the sense I’ve defined above) that we feel a sense of motivation to do things, to get up out of bed, to get things done and not procrastinate; this is the Tony Robbins sense, if you will – that of “motivational speakers.”
We may imagine two college students who, if we were to ask them their “purpose” for attending college, might equally say “to graduate/get a degree,” and yet we might say that they are unequally “motivated.”
We could say of one that he is “highly motivated.” He attends every class, reads every assigned passage, and does everything within his power to achieve his chosen goal. The other student might “lack motivation,” even as he consciously believes himself to want the same results. He might skip classes, forget to read his texts (or choose other activities instead), and generally fail to do those things that would make his own success more likely.
Is this the sense of “motivation” we’re after? (“Purpose” can also be purposed for this purpose, when we speak of someone acting “with great purpose”; all puns are purposeful.)
Perhaps in describing “motivation,” for the purpose of writing literature, Rand combines both of these common meanings. When we speak of someone’s “values,” insofar as they have things that they act to gain/keep, we speak to their motivation as purpose; but “basic premises” and that which “moves us to action” seems to imply motivation in the Zig Ziglar sense (perhaps “as drive”?).
And when I consider this drive, and these “basic premises,” what it leads me immediately to think of is: sense of life.
For what might give one child (say) more drive than another, should they hold the same conscious goals: one to keep trying despite all setback, and the other to abandon some project in the face of an otherwise surmountable obstacle? Perhaps it accounts to a sort of fundamental expectation of success – or relating effort to success – that I think might be considered an aspect of one’s sense of life.
Note Rand’s use of “motivational” (from “Philosophy and Sense of Life,” The Romantic Manifesto, 25):
Quote
What began as a series of single, discrete conclusions (or evasions) about his own particular problems, becomes a generalized feeling about existence, an implicit metaphysics with the compelling motivational power of a constant, basic emotion—an emotion which is part of all his other emotions and underlies all his experiences. This is a sense of life.
Apart from attempting to interpret Rand’s meaning in these passages, I myself might relate motivation (as drive) to focus and/or understanding. When I’m faced with some choice, some alternative, I am more motivated to perform some action when I can see clearly that it will lead me to what I value – or more generally achieve my purpose.
If my understanding is hazy – if I only suspect that my actions will vaguely aim at my chosen purposes, or feel otherwise unsure – my internal sense of drive, or motivation, consequently suffers. The greater one’s clarity of thought, and the deeper one’s understanding of relevant issues, the more sharply I would expect their motivation (or disinclination) to pursue certain actions to be felt.
I don’t know. I’m spitballing.
But hopefully this material helps us to hone in on what we’re after, even if it is finally rejected as off-target.
Quote
Now, let’s suppose we are that man. (Women, feel free to reverse the sexes in the example.) Why are we acting toward achieving this particular purpose? Let’s say we think the woman is smart and attractive, a fairly standard reason for asking someone out. But why are we pursuing a smart and attractive woman? What really motivates this action?
I’m not sure such a question can be answered by fantasizing, or imagining, a possible future with the woman. For example, we could say that we hope things work out and that she becomes our lover, and that that would make us very happy. But this doesn’t explain why we want to pursue a smart and attractive woman in the first place. Furthermore, we would have established no logical basis for assuming that such a woman could possibly make us happy.
This seems to ask a lot of questions, the answers to which might each spark conversations in their turn. (As for instance why a man might prefer a smart woman to a dumb one; how do we determine what might make us happy; what is the “logical basis” for such conclusions/“assumptions,” and etc.)
The example of pursuing a mate, girlfriend, wife – or asking someone out, which might not always be the same thing – is a complicated one. Perhaps it would be simpler to approach something a little less complex first? (And maybe it will not prove to be simpler at all, but such is my “intuition.”)
Consider, if you would, an example I’d raised elsewhere: the lowly (or glorious) hamburger.
Instead of pursuing a smart, attractive woman, suppose a man who stops at In-N-Out to order a Double Double, animal-style (you may substitute Five Guys, if you’re an east coaster). What do you suppose motivates this action?
Quote
It seems that we must look at our values for the root of motivation. Perhaps, in this case, we have learned to value relationships by interacting with family members and friends all throughout life. We’ve learned to value romantic relationships by watching couples in love, and possibly by having a lover in the past. We’ve learned to value intelligence by personally experiencing and recognizing the benefits of knowledge. And we’ve learned to identify and value attractiveness by experiencing the physical and emotional responses we have to certain women, as opposed to others. Given our specific and individual set of values, we are now morally impelled to act in pursuit of this particular woman.
I am a bit put off by the phrase “morally impelled.” We choose to pursue our values through our actions; we are not forced to do so. There are many people who fail to pursue their consciously held values and suffer consequently, are there not?
Finally, I think it important to note that, insofar as I am aware of the conversation which has sparked this new thread, I’m not altogether certain that you have yet spoken to the issue of one’s ability to “imagine” future possibilities, or the consequences of one’s actions, as it relates to selecting from among alternative actions – or choosing.
I recognize that you’ve said that you’re “not sure [the question of whether to pursue a smart, attractive woman] can be answered by fantasizing, or imagining, a possible future with the woman,” but I’m not sure that it can’t. As I’ve said, pursuing a mate is an extraordinarily complicated topic – I think it would be best to start with a burger, or something equally pedestrian – but I can tell you, for instance, that when I was dating my current wife, I did project forward to try to imagine what living with her might be like, what raising a child might be like, and so forth. It was not for the sake of her qualities (those I might be said to “value”) alone that I popped the question, but as I could see them producing outcomes in my own life that I find desirable. And this required some ability on my part to assess such outcomes (to the best of my ability; whether I was right or wrong; though I can report that several years later, at least, I remain happily married).
Even if we restrict ourselves to talking about values in the sort of syllogistic method you’ve described (as in, “I value intelligence” and “my wife is intelligent,” therefore “I value my wife”), I’m not convinced that the ability to project forward, as it were, is not related to one’s valuing intelligence (or etc.) in the first place. You say that we learn to value intelligence by “personally experiencing and recognizing the benefits of knowledge,” true – but in “recognizing the benefits” of intelligence, don’t we in part mean that we can foresee future scenarios (though perhaps undefined) in which intelligence will again be of value? For it is not alone, “I can see how intelligence mattered before,” but also, and most importantly, “I expect that intelligence will matter again.”