I have a very eclectic taste when it comes to music, (except when it comes to rap or hip-hop). Whenever somebody asks me what type of music is my favorite, I usually say Classical - but then I have to explain that it’s not the classical music they’re thinking about. There’s classical music, and then there’s classical music. I could also say Soundtrack music is my favorite, but it wouldn’t be quite true either. I guess a more precise description of my favorite music genre would be Classical Soundtrack, which brings me to the point.
I find majority of Classical music boring. Sure - there are some notable exceptions, but I couldn’t care for most of it. If you ever tuned your radio-station to the Classical Music channel - you’ll hear exactly what I hate, classical music that sounds as if it was made only for classical music’s sake, and composer’s enjoyment. It’s either dull, or overly pompastic.
No - the music that I listen to (and this goes for all the genres, not only classical), needs to evoke emotions. It needs to be able to push me to tears, or make me feel like I’m part of an epic journey. The sort of music that makes the images from a movie come alive in my mind, even years after I’ve seen the movie. If you’ve ever heard anything by James Horner (Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind), or Hans Zimmer (The Gladiator, The Thin Red Line), then you know what I’m talking about.
Try watching any touching scene from a movie with a classical score, and then watch the same scene without the sound - and you’ll see the haunting power of the ‘soundrack’ classical music. Sure, some people put down the type of music, as a cheap trick, but whatever it is about this particular trick, it does it for me.
To make an analogy - listening to the ‘classical’ classical music is like watching a painting of a landscape, while listening to the ‘modern’ classical music is like watching a painting of the same landscape, but now complete with a wizard battling a dragon, or a knight who’s about to join a crusade leaving his princess behind.