I tend to favor Late Romantic era classical music such as Tchaikovsky, Rach, etc. I personally don’t like much of the modernist stuff because it tends to reject the more harmonic and melodic elements of the Romantic era that I love. I like to hear lyrical melodies and experience moments where the power of harmony moves me emotionally, and I don’t get that from many modernist compositions. Perhaps Rachmaninoff himself says it best: “The new kind of music seems to create not from the heart but from the head. Its composers think rather than feel. They have not the capacity to make their works exalt—they meditate, protest, analyze, reason, calculate and brood, but they do not exalt.”
Rach’s Piano Concerto No. 2 is one of my favorite musical compositions as well, but there are many interpretations where it is played too slow and overdone. When played right, the lyrical melodies and rich, texturized harmonic moments are astounding (especially when seen live). The first movement is brilliant to me because of the way Rach structures it so as to reach its emotional climax slowly. Whoever wrote the entry on Wikipedia characterized the development of the first movement as “agitated and unstable”, which I think is quite accurate. The second movement is my favorite, and I think it is the emotional centerpiece of the work. The piano trades the melody with the flute at the beginning, which is just beautiful to me. I tend to characertize this movement as melancholy at first, but if you listen carefully, there seems to be something underneath the initial melancholy mood that comes out. To me, it builds throughout the movement, with the few emotional moments brilliantly transititioned into with the piano and the horns. I’m no expert on music, but from an active listener’s perspective, I label these moments as that “something” emerging from the initial melancholy mood, fiercer and fiercer. My favorite part of the second movement is the ending when the pianist is striking the huge dramatic chords and the orchestra playing behind, which I like to label as the triumph of whatever that “something” is. The third movement is my least favorite, but I love listening to the coda, because it is technically amazing the way Rach put it together.
Other good classical music that I have discovered (from my limited exploration of it):
Vivaldi’s Le quattro stagioni
Rach’s Piano Concerto No. 3
Rach’s Symphony No. 2
Rach’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1
Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto
Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite
Bach’s Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
Mendelssohn’s On Wings of Song
Liszt’s Liebesträume (absolutely beautiful)
Grieg’s Piano Concerto No. 1
Chopin’s Etude for piano No. 3 in E major
Chopin’s Nocturne for piano No. 2 in E flat major
Tchaikovsky’s Symphony #6 (Pathetique)
Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique
Elgar’s Serenade for Strings in E minor
There’s many more, but I can’t think of anymore off the top of my head.