Thoughts on music as a rational C.P.L?

I My lifetime goal is to write a book about Education reform, and to see some action on it as well.

That is a great goal :stuck_out_tongue:

I never cared about school untill I learned of philosophy, really. As I have been integrating the Objectivist philosophy (most specifically) I have become much better at self-control, and much more interested in learning. I have, in a sense, become addicted to learning. Whether it’s music, philosophy, physical training, neuroscience, physics, history - whatever is on my mind I find myself indulged in, and constantly thinking of it. I am, however, having much success in balancing out physical training, music, and education - mind, body, and soul so to speak.

That is a great goal  B)

Thank You :stuck_out_tongue: My other goal used to be to write a book to reform or improve capitalism, but now I see that Capitalism is good, but we are not implementing it in the right way. Seems Ayn Rand beat me to the punch explaining it, but I sure am glad she did. Now I have a clearer vision of what I was after, and can build upon the work she’s already done.

I have, in a sense, become addicted to learning.

Me too, I can’t think of a healthier addiction than that though :slight_smile:

Perhaps now since I am older and more mature I will have a better experience with therapy. This has been on my mind recently, and I think I will see someone. I will probably look for a behaviorist, or cognitive psychologist, rather than a psychotherapist.

Considering you may have some physical issues as well as psychological/philosophical ones, I would recommend an Objectivist psychiatrist like Jonathan Rosman, MD in Southern California or Arthur Mode, MD in Maryland. If you are not close to either one of them, you might write to them for a referral in your area.

Considering you may have some physical issues as well as psychological/philosophical ones, I would recommend an Objectivist psychiatrist like Jonathan Rosman, MD in Southern California or Arthur Mode, MD in Maryland.  If you are not close to either one of them, you might write to them for a referral in your area.

What do you mean by physical issues? I do HIT style training 3 days a week, and a day of cardio. I eat very healthy and wiegh about 200 lbs (5’ 11’') and I am at about 12% BF. I am in great physical shape. :thumbsup:

I did not know Objectivist psychiatrists exists, but I will definetely be looking for them now that I know they do exist. :o

What do you mean by physical issues?  I do HIT style training 3 days a week, and a day of cardio. I eat very healthy and wiegh about 200 lbs (5’ 11’') and I am at about 12% BF. I am in great physical shape.  :thumbsup:

I think she meant physical as in chemical, considering you said you are bipolar, which would be more neurological than pyschological in nature. Then you would need an MD psychiatrist rather than only a psychologist.

-at least that’s what I read it to mean. I don’t think she’s critiquing your physique :o

What do you mean by physical issues? 

I mean biological or medical problems that may impair psychological functioning and need to be dealt with medically. A cognitively oriented Objectivist psychiatrist – an MD – can help you with both.

I think she meant physical as in chemical, considering you said you are bipolar, which would be more neurological than pyschological in nature. Then you would need an MD psychiatrist rather than only a psychologist.

-at least that’s what I read it to mean. I don’t think she’s critiquing your physique  :o

Thats what I was originally thinking, although I didn’t think any treatments exist that can change the way ones brain is wired to operate. I know of medications that help, but I don’t recall of hearing anything with long-term effects.

I then thought she was reasoning that I had the physical defects that generally occur with depression, bipolar ilnesses, and social withdrawal. Generally speaking, other people I have talked to that experianced similiar mental problems had health issues that go along with the ilnesses, such as stress related problems, obesity, constant reoccuring sicknesses. I have found that the best way to deal with these problems is to place a large personal emphasis on my physique and eating habits. :thumbsup:

I mean biological or medical problems that may impair psychological functioning and need to be dealt with medically.  A cognitively oriented Objectivist psychiatrist – an MD – can help you with both.

awesome, best of both worlds :thumbsup:

I will be looking into this over the next couple days. Unfortunately, I need to get direct referrals from my primary care physician for my health insurance to cover it. So I need to schedule an appointment with him after I find some good local psychiatrists that will take my insurance, and fit the criteria you have helped me establish (which I thank you very much for).