Website design

Is there a reason why the forum looks identical to the ObjectivistLiving forum (other than using the same software) - is one copying the other? Can we try to get away from that design? Particularly: change the favicon (next to the URL) back to the flag, or something else, and change the coloring a bit?

I am not familiar with that forum, but reading through their posts regarding David Harriman’s book, they seem to live in some fantasy world where philosophy does not serve as the base of knowledge. It’s hard to believe these folks read the same books I have.

Is there a reason why the forum looks identical to the ObjectivistLiving forum (other than using the same software) - is one copying the other?

That is the reason.

The forums use a default template (you can change the look in the lower left corner, btw). The only modifications are really the banner (and it looks like one or two other small adjustment). I’m not familiar with the IP board theming system, but it is usually pretty easy to modify colors, fonts and icons. Changing layout gets a bit more difficult, but some boards offer multiple layout options.

Is there a reason why the forum looks identical to the ObjectivistLiving forum (other than using the same software) - is one copying the other?

This forum has been running Invision Power Board since early 2003 - far longer than ObjectivistLiving. I know other Objectivist forums have copied my software choice.

I did get the idea for the Facebook widgets from ObjectivistLiving.

Can we try to get away from that design? Particularly: change the favicon (next to the URL) back to the flag, or something else, and change the coloring a bit?

To make any significant changes in the look I would have to spend many hours tweaking the design, and I just don’t have time for that right now. Others are welcome to, however.

To make any significant changes in the look I would have to spend many hours tweaking the design, and I just don’t have time for that right now. Others are welcome to, however.

You’re right, it is a lot of work. I’ve donated my time on other forums a while back… it became a time sucking hobby to clean up the looks of these places!

Here’s a contribution for the “Clean Cut” template (the one I use). The upper png looks like it doesn’t have a clean transparency or something is off with the alpha. I recreated it, “clean” if you wish to use it.

The file named the same with an “_updated.png” added to it.

EDIT: I tried to upload the .psd (photoshop) file so you could modify it if you wanted, but I don’t have permissions for that type of file. (i.e. add a reflection or something)

post-7262-016522800 1282879014.png

post-7262-068632100 1282879978.png

post-7262-075761800 1282879994.jpg

I guess at the very least, if we could go back to the old favicon, that would be nice. :smiley:

How about now?

As such I’m not one to care about skins, but the idea of having something other than the IPB default is a good one. I just realized we have a few other skin-options installed here already. I bet there are a few more free IPB skins available for download somewhere on the net. I gues it is a question of find one that is fully functional and that looks good, getting GC’s approval, and then doing some work installing it.

Nice…

If you use the _reflect.png file I posted it contains transparency… so it will sit cleanly on that bkg. (You used the flat .jpg with a temp bkg in there). PNG’s can contain clean transparencies… can’t do it with jpegs.

So just replace with: 3_logo_reflect.png.

(for those that don’t see it, hold shift and reload your page and the images will refresh)

Favicons don’t always refresh for people, so they might not see it right away. (i.e. i still see the american flag… )

Wow, very nice, crisp, clean :smiley:

It actually reminds me of the feeling I got when I saw WoW on my new computer and a 5770 after a 6 year old piece of trash :slight_smile:

It doesn’t seem like we have the feature anymore which tells you how many people are in the chat and who. Can this please be brought back?

It doesn’t seem like we have the feature anymore which tells you how many people are in the chat and who.

It’s still there if you choose IP.Board as your template, which can be changed at the bottom left as freestyle said. What happened to me is that the template changed to Orb, but now I changed it back to what it was before.

Oh good! And dang, now I can see I indeed had been logged out from chat even though it still has the chat tab open for me. :confused:

Eiuol: GreedyCapitalist changed it for everyone, so it didn’t just happen to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Chat link in the new skin needs a target=“_blank” attribute - currently opens in current window/tab.

I didn’t like the change, it seemed too crowded, so I changed it back.

Yeah the default Orb skin looks horrible. It is FAR too crowded, bright and clashing enouigh to almost hurt my eyes and some of the headings seem far too disproportionate. Though the latter might be an issue caused by the fact that I am currently looking at it in my PS3 browser (which is generally pretty craptacular ).

However, you can change to some acceptable skins, so I am happy enough. Though the IP.Board one is the same one the forum used when it upgraded recently , and that one has its own problerms. However, nothing that I cannot deal with :smiley:

But these are the only ones that you can implement right now without extra expense / time / hassle?

But these are the only ones that you can implement right now without extra expense / time / hassle?

You are welcome to help me find more skins.