Lets look at the actual critique:
One of the regular people dares to rise above his station through hard work and innovation. As did Prometheus (an Ayn Rand favorite), this rogue attempts to bring the “fire of the gods” to man by means of a technology that gives everyone the Incredibles’ powers. For his impertinence, he is labelled a villain.
Now, I’m not arguing that Syndrome is not the villain - he is. That is how the writers have presented him, but that’s not the point. The moral message of the movie lies beneath the superficialities of presentation, in the fundamental traits of its characters. Given their complaints about the false choice presented in this movie, one would expect objectivists to remain neutral in judging it on moral grounds. But, disturbingly, they are not. It’s disturbing because, in a choice between a self-made innovator and a hero with innate powers, they side with the “hero”. Instead of praising the American spirit of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, they engage in royalty- and god-worship. Anyone familiar with objectivism would find this sickeningly ironic.
1)The point is made that the argument is NOT that Syndrome ISN’T the villian, but that Objectivist’s don’t make value neutral judgments on the issue you present and that is a bad thing given the fact there are things that *SOME* Objectivists have differing opinions on (false choice for example).The fact is though, despite claiming that you aren’t arguing Sydrome is the villian, YOU present the fact that it is “sickenly ironic” by the fact that Sydrome isn’t the hero while at the same time making your OWN value judgment that isn’t neutral.
2) Syndrome isn’t labeled a villian for being creative or innovative. He is labeled a villian because his LIFE is defined by conflict and other people. When he is rejected by an individualist (Mr. Incredible) he decides to seek power for the sake of power. He decides to make himself a hero while taking down the actual people of ability. What part of this can’t you see? He killed several superheroes by perfecting his war machine. He defined HIS powers and himself in terms of Mr. Incredible and the real superheroes. Could he BE a bigger second hander?
The fact is, Syndrome had hurt feelings like a little Hitler getting rejected from art school. Syndrome is a sycophant from the beginning…he is a drooling fan boy who can’t get enough of Mr. Incredible. Getting autographs and pictures is one thing, but being something your not is another.
Syndrome tried to MAKE himself into Mr. Incredible. From an Objectivist standpoint the ideal situation would be Syndrome making himself into the best possible individual that played on his own strengths.
Instead of trying to be “Incredi-boy” (look…more secondhanding) when his help (or lack thereof) wasn’t wanted he should have focused on developing the math and science to do what he really wanted to do.
You can be a hero without being Mr. Incredible or any of the superheroes. What about the little lady on speed who developed the maxed out clothing? Was she not pretty important to the overall picture? She used math and science to enhance the natural abilities of the superheroes…just like education enhances a thinker’s natural abilities (think Galt and Hugh Akston. Does that little lady not deserve some mention?
Syndrome/Incrediboy wannabe could have done so much with his life for the positive. He could have BEEN an individual…a true individual because he was extremely talented. The talent was meaningless the second he decided to live his life for another man.Think of it this way, “Incrediboy” wasn’t interested in fighting crime and making himself the best damn superhero out there. He was interested in being a collectivist…a “part of the team” when no such help was wanted and he didn’t let it stop there. He made himself such a pest that like an annoying socially inept twit that he was, he was swatted away like a fly. Obviously that affected his self esteem. The thing is though, how much esteem did he have to begin with if all he was doing was chasing someone else’s life and living vicariously by chasing them from crime scene to crime scene?
When Mr. Incredible told him to buzz off, this kid didn’t ever grow up and instead devoted his creative energies into destroying all that is good. His main product (the spider-weapon) was made to kill superheroes. Even his product that he was to sell on the open market was defined by an external force and honed through deception, trickery, and murder. He is a Dr. Ferris…and I find it sickenly ironic that someone familiar with Objectivism would embrace Syndrome as a hero.
3) Just because the fact that The Incredibles have superpowers and Syndrome does not doesn’t make The Incredibles less or Syndrome more. One person’s lack of ability or presence of it doesn’t automatically make someone worthy of condemnation or praise either way. Think Ellie Willers (the best of the average) and John Galt. The fact that they both choose to be made them great people. The reality is though, John Galt was born with more natural ability so he is going to be looked up to because he has more stuff to work with. You can bemoan that as unfair or not cool, but I LIKE having people who work at such brilliant and super-productive levels. I would rather have one Michael Johnson than 10 million Joe Shmoe’s and no MJ. I don’t resent athletes like Michael Johnsonfor being more physically gifted than I am.
One of the best track athletes of all time gave an interview in Playboy(the Michael Johnson I’m talking about) =
http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/sport…_michael00.html
In this interview he talks about pushing himself to the limit and focussing on his game.
Playboy asks: “Now we’re going to make you a choach. How do you get a guy ready to beat Michael Johnson?”
MJ: “If I were a coach, I’d tell an athlete not to think about Michael Johnson, not to worry about him. I saw a very good athlete last year, Jerome Young-one of the only people who I feel at this point can run 43 seconds- totally screw himself out of a medal at the world championships because he was trying to run with me. I think he can run 43 and would have been a silver medalist last year. But he admitted that his strategy was based on my race and what I was going to do. There’s nothing he can do about what I’m doing. So If I’m a coach, I tell the guy, ‘don’t think about him, it’s dangerous.’”
I’m NEVER going to be as physically gifted as Michael Johnson. Sorry, just isn’t going to happen. That doesn’t make MJ a better person than I am because he was blessed with something I don’t have. He also shouldn’t be burdened because he was “unfairly” blessed with an ability that 99% of the world doesn’t possess. Shit happens. Serendipity happens. Life happens. At some point you have to quit living your life around other people and simply be the best you can be. After all, you can’t be anyone else, so why bother?
That is why Syndrome/Incrediboy was a fundamentally flawed human being and became a villian. Not because he wasn’t born with a special ability that didn’t require any talent or effort on his part and was thematically “penalized” for his impudence at rising up against the gifted oppressors. :lol: