Objectivism Online Forum

European Union

Rate this topic

Dan Bidewell

I don't really have anything against the idea of a United Europe - as long as the building up of some European government is accompanied by a dismantling of the national ones.

There is nothing wrong with a federal government coexisting with state governments if the purpose of the arrangement is a better protection of the rights of individuals in each state. The problem with the EU is that its purpose is not to protect rights but to "unite and rule" the people of Europe.

There is nothing wrong with a federal government coexisting with state governments if the purpose of the arrangement is a better protection of the rights of individuals in each state. The problem with the EU is that its purpose is not to protect rights but to "unite and rule" the people of Europe.

I quite agree with you - that is why I say that I am all for a European Union if it is accompanied with a dismantling of our the national governments .

I quite agree with you - that is why I say that I am all for a European Union if it is accompanied with a dismantling of our the national governments .

Really? Arn't you put off given that the EU is dominated by protectionists? The likes of Germany and France have a mercantillist mentality which is alien to the more free market stance of the English speaking world. Also the EU has a democratic deficit.

Really? Arn't you put off given that the EU is dominated by protectionists? The likes of Germany and France have a mercantillist mentality which is alien to the more free market stance of the English speaking world. Also the EU has a democratic deficit.

I am sorry - when I say "a European Union" - I don't mean the one we are having foisted on us now. But I see nothing wrong with an over-arching structure replacing the twenty-five we have now.

I am sorry - when I say "a European Union" - I don't mean the one we are having foisted on us now. But I see nothing wrong with an over-arching structure replacing the twenty-five we have now.

I prefer decentralised power. I find that giving power to people who are closer to problems is usually more effective as opposed to giving total power to a group of people in some far off area. Its not just a question of geography of course but of culture and politics i.e those on the continent are much more left wing. The problem with an over-arching structure is that it would tend to give blanket solutions, this of course would be problematic - a solution for Poland is not always apprpriate for say Ireland. We can see the truth of this in the Euro - a single currency is not suitable for such a variety of economies.Centralised power tends to lead to blanket politics and thus bad politics.

I prefer decentralised power. I find that giving power to people who are closer to problems is usually more effective as opposed to giving total power to a group of people in some far off area. Its not just a question of geography of course but of culture and politics i.e those on the continent are much more left wing. The problem with an over-arching structure is that it would tend to give blanket solutions, this of course would be problematic - a solution for Poland is not always apprpriate for say Ireland. We can see the truth of this in the Euro - a single currency is not suitable for such a variety of economies.Centralised power tends to lead to blanket politics and thus bad politics.

I can see with what you are saying. But I would rather see a very weak pan-European government - more along the ideas of a common market perhaps rather than lots and lots different local solutions to the same problem. For example, at least the european ideal has lead to a lifting of tarrifs across the 25 European Union States (if not from outside).

I can see with what you are saying. But I would rather see a very weak pan-European government - more along the ideas of a common market perhaps rather than lots and lots different local solutions to the same problem. For example, at least the european ideal has lead to a lifting of tarrifs across theĀ  25 European Union States (if not from outside).

I agree that a very weak government would be good. I would just prefer very weak government for all member states and no EU at all. I see no reason for a pan-European government. If there are joint problems, such governments could work together if they wanted. But as each state faces different problems I think it would be good for them to have separate governments for the reasons I suggested above. Also I think different solutions are good - it leads to the best being achived and eventually adopted. With one power this would not occur.