Objectivism Online Forum

Baltimore passes new laws for food carts

Rate this topic

Greebo

http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=74080&zoneid=3

The details are sparse but it seems to be saying that while temporarily food trucks can park w/in 300 ft of a competitor, pretty soon they won't be able to do so.

In the city, 300 ft is a football field - and as a radius covers as much as a city block - so potentially these vans could end up being severely limited in where they can go.

Meaning all those employees in the city will have to choose to walk a long way for quick cheap food or pick the "city approved" place in a nearby building.

Edited by Greebo

In Columbus, Ohio, pushcart regulations are so extensive that the city has an entire small office building miles from the rest of the government offices just to handle all of the crap/confusion that springs from the regulations. Everything about the carts is regulated, including exact distances of operation from various city, neighborhood, and private events, days of operation, size of cart wheels, height of the cart, and more. There are clauses in the laws that boil down to, "Despite all these rules, any cop at any time can still tell you to get lost without a reason or law to back him up... this is the law, actually." Large regulation packets are handed out which, unsurprisingly and like the Bible, do not cover everything, which is problematic given the cop clauses. Unfortunately, like the BMV, the pushcart offices are staffed with parrots that tell you to read the packet, even when your question is something about the packet!

I am sure I could go on and on about worse sets of laws, like the tax code, if I was more knowledgeable about it. I just happened to have read these laws last summer. Damn government!