Objectivism Online Forum

What is possible to me?

Rate this topic

LoBagola

“Our Cultural Value-Deprivation,”

The Voice of Reason, 102–103 

Also found: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/values.html

Values are the motivating power of man’s actions and a necessity of his survival, psychologically as well as physically.

Man’s values control his subconscious emotional mechanism that functions like a computer adding up his desires, his experiences, his fulfillments and frustrations—like a sensitive guardian watching and constantly assessing his relationship to reality. The key question which this computer is programmed to answer, is: What is possible to me?
There is a certain similarity between the issue of sensory perception and the issue of values. . . .
If severe and prolonged enough, the absence of a normal, active flow of sensory stimuli may disintegrate the complex organization and the interdependent functions of man’s consciousness.

Man’s emotional mechanism works as the barometer of the efficacy or impotence of his actions. If severe and prolonged enough, the absence of a normal, active flow of value-experiences may disintegrate and paralyze man’s consciousness—by telling him that no action is possible.

The form in which man experiences the reality of his values is pleasure.

the key question is "what is possible to me?" because emotions respond to whether or not you are achieving you values. If you constantly fail to achieve them your sadness and anxiety is letting you know that perhaps they are NOT possible and that you should check your premises. Right?

Is there evidence about the part of the absence of sensory stimuli leading to disintegration of consciousness?

What is meant by "paralyzing" man's consciousness when he fails to achieve his values? Is it not possible for one to hold rational values but not achieve them? If so would that person's consciousness not become paralyzed? Achievement is open to man, but it's not guaranteed.

Edited by LoBagola

"Is there evidence about the part of the absence of sensory stimuli leading to disintegration of consciousness?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_deprivation#Negative_effects

"What is meant by 'paralyzing' man's consciousness when he fails to achieve his values?"

Agh, how to describe this exactly? It involves lots of repeatedly dwelling on the same things - bad things, and feeling stressed, anxious, frustrated, sad, maybe angry or generally disinterested. You get the sense that there is nothing you can do, you're just screwed, you're helpless, you're stuck in an unresolvable situation. This leads to feeling at a loss for what to do with yourself because you're there in existence, you have to do *something*, but everything you do seems pointless.

"Is it not possible for one to hold rational values but not achieve them? If so would that person's consciousness not become paralyzed?"

Oh it is possible, you can't predict/prepare for/control everything. To the next question, maybe, depending on how severe and persistant these experiences are.

The paralysis mentioned is commonly diagnosed as clinical depression, anxiety, et cetera.

Since I've undoubtedly just provoked someone anyway, i also think that attention deficit is habitual context-dropping and autism-spectrum disorders are failures to form the concept of "man" (other minds).

This is all conjecture, of course.

• 1 month later...

Prepost disclaimer: I abhor calling someone out online. However...

After 930+ posts, Harrison, you've taken some risk of this and I assume I may not be the first to take exception to your words.

I would suggest you do a more diligent research of the properties and effects of the autism-spectrum disorders before asserting they inhibit the formation of a concept. I am an individual on the spectrum, Aspergers, mild enough to never be formally diagnosed even though visits to psychiatrists form some salient memories of my childhood, yet strong enough that  visits to psychiatrists are some salient memories of my childhood. Allow me to assure you the "disorder" can in no way be held responsible for "failures to form" concepts. Those of us "on the other side" sometimes wonder if being normal inhibits forming concepts as well, you see, we are just wired different, not wrong, just different. There are concepts I find self evident that normal people find obtuse, and similarly there are concepts that seem disjoint and disconnected from reality to me, that normal people get frustrated when I ignore. One of those is, I cannot understand why normal people like talking about themselves, it is almost always boring, so I am going to stop and get back on topic.

I would suggest the root of the "paralysis" to which AR referred is fear. Fear of failure, fear of frustration, fear of social pressure, perhaps fear of the unknown should one succeed. In the words of Mr Churchill, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself!". Nothing alleviates fear like effort. If you put forth enough effort to beat back your fear, success will follow. Assuming of course, there is a modicum of rationality in your effort. :)

Edited by Skylab72

Prepost disclaimer: I abhor calling someone out online. However...

I would suggest the root of the "paralysis" to which AR referred is fear. Fear of failure, fear of frustration, fear of social pressure, perhaps fear of the unknown should one succeed. In the words of Mr Churchill, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself!". Nothing alleviates fear like effort. If you put forth enough effort to beat back your fear, success will follow. Assuming of course, there is a modicum of rationality in your effort. :)

Was he perhaps quoting Roosevelt when he said those particular words??

edit: http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/

Bonus quote - who said, "Never give up, never surrender!" ??

Edited by Devil's Advocate