Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

The Objectivist philosophy on art in a nutshell

123Me
    By 123Me,
    Hi, I am looking for information by those who consider themselves to have a basic grasp of Objectivist philosophy, mainly Ethics.  My question involves all art, but without that option in the forum I figure that I should put it in the visual art spot. So, my base assumption is that with Objectivism, there is a particular standard for art, namely, idealism if I remember reading right. Can someone please explain to me the concept of idealism in art, looking kind of for a "idealism in a nuts

What does my mind need?

HowardRoarkSpaceDetective
    By HowardRoarkSpaceDetective,
    I'm reading Viable Values by Tara Smith. I've really enjoyed it as she covers a lot of questions I don't typically hear addressed by Rand or Piekoff in terms that I understand. She brought up an issue that has baffled me for a long time: motivation. She discusses what man's psychological needs are, and how most of the values that constitute "flourishing" are values because they keep us from forgetting why we're doing what we're doing or that we're capable of doing it. I recently heard Harry Bins

g

8g9
    By 8g9,
    How is existence meaningful as an axiom. (I messed up the topic accidentally. My apologies)

My Ethical Theory and Rand's

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    My Ethical Theory and Rand’s Perception of mind-independent existence is fundamental to human consciousness, though not the whole of what is fundamental in human consciousness. “Existence exists, we live.” The act of grasping that statement implies that things exist, including you and I conscious living selves, our consciousness being something alive and being the faculty of perceiving that which exists. No one understanding the statement “Existence exists,” whether uttered, signed, or

Reblogged:Capitalism Fought Jim Crow From the Start

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    I have long praised a happy result of the free market: It discourages racism. Two memorable examples I have brought up here include commercial desegregation in Houston (when segregation was called "bad for business") and the universal reach of the Sears catalog across the South. Both of these show capitalism blunting the force of segregation, or helping end it outright. Notably, thanks to a recent John Stossel article, we can now add a historic example of capitalism actively resisting Jim Crow

Reblogged:Left 'White'-Washes Anti-Semitism

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Some time back, I tweeted a Value for Value post by Peter Schwartz which explains how our culture's dominant ethical code, altruism, justifies supporting Hamas over Israel, despite the demands of justice to do exactly the opposite. Schwartz says in part:Now that Iran, a nation nearly ten times more populous than Israel, has more directly waged war against Israel, it would be interesting to quiz the above schoolteacher about which side she is on. I would not expect her allegiance to have shifte

Rand and the Greeks

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    I wrote this and originally posted it online in 2010. Rand and the Greeks In the “The Objectivist Ethics” Rand stated: “Aristotle did not regard ethics as an exact science” (14). “He based his ethical system on observations of what the noble and wise men of his time chose to do, leaving unanswered the questions of: why they chose to do it and why he evaluated them as noble and wise” (OE 14). Insofar as Aristotle’s approach was indeed as described in the preceding quotation (see e.g. NE

Reblogged:Poe's Law Headines and Pro-Hamas Astroturfing

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Over the weekend, I heard a podcaster speculating on reports that someone was paying people to stage pro-Hamas "protests," i.e., tresspass, squat on, and vandalize college campuses, while threatening Jews or counter-protesters. Given the overall looniness of this day and age, any headlines to that effect would remind me of Poe's Law:Only now, one often needs to replace the emoji with a reputable source and creationist with conspiracy theorist, while remembering that there are some bat-#$%&

HOW CAN OBJECTIVISM BECOME A DOMINANT IDEOLOGY?

rohintest
    By rohintest,
    MAPPING FUTURE OF OBJECTIVISM   HOW CAN OBJECTIVISM BECOME A DOMINANT IDEOLOGY?   INTRODUCTION The article is for long time Objectivists only. I think at this point only long time Objectivists can clearly visualize the logistics for making the ideology mainstream. Philosophy of Kant, Christianity, and Islam being examples of mainstream ideologies. Personally, I have been reading Ayn Rand and Objectivist literature for more than 20 years now.  

How To Be Happy

KyaryPamyu
    By KyaryPamyu,
    Schopenhauer was a big influence on Nietzsche, and Rand liked Nietzsche more than just a little. "His 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' is my Bible.  I can never commit suicide while I have it.", wrote Rand, answering a questionnaire, circa 1935[1]. By way of spiritual lineage, could it be that some of Schopenhauer's ethos inadvertently found its way into Objectivism? Well, probably not, but I'm getting paranoid! It's time for a trip down philosophical hall of fame. Like many philosophers of his era

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS