Objectivism Online Forum

Brilliant idea for Private Justice and Defence

Rate this topic

Sergio

Some time ago, I came across a brilliant approach to organizing society without being dependant on monopolies such as governments. I have attached several short podcasts which explain the system. The author is an objectivist who basically started where objectivism left off, elaborating into deeper philosophy, psychology, relatioships, and pure free markets. His approach to a stateless society relies on lots of existing non-violent institutions that have proven track records, such as insurance, credit ratings, private arbitration, reputations, and the internet. By combining these institutions in innovative ways, we can have a society that does not depend on violent enforcement at its core. The podcasts are vivid and thorough, and should address all of your concerns. I suggest that you listen to them all the way through before commenting: i found them addictively entertaining, and as his system raised more questions, he was quick to provide answers.

Here are the episodes relevant to this discussion:

01 - The Stateless Society

01 - Caging the Devils: The Stateless Society and Violent Crime

03 - These Cages are Only for Beasts

By combining these institutions in innovative ways, we can have a society that does not depend on violent enforcement at its core.
Do those podcasts explain how these institutions will deal will the inevitable bad guys with extremely powerful weapons?

1. Molyneux is not an Objectivist.

2. Molyneux is your typical psychoanalyist, reducing all problems down to sick, Freudian urges in our unconscious mind.

3. Molyneux, by his own logic, accepts the state we live in today. There is no such thing as the government, he says. There are only collections of individuals. Therefore, the government is just another one of defense organizations. Right now they've corned the market on the matter. That is about it.

Do those podcasts explain how these institutions will deal will the inevitable bad guys with extremely powerful weapons?

He has mentioned this several times in the series. I am pretty sure he deals with large scale regional threats in the first 3 episodes. Give the first one a listen - you'll probably find it interesting enough to listen to all 3 of them. I hope you enjoy it :)

1. Molyneux is not an Objectivist.

2. Molyneux is your typical psychoanalyist, reducing all problems down to sick, Freudian urges in our unconscious mind.

3. Molyneux, by his own logic, accepts the state we live in today. There is no such thing as the government, he says. There are only collections of individuals. Therefore, the government is just another one of defense organizations. Right now they've corned the market on the matter. That is about it.

After listening to many podcasts, I have formed very different conclusions. Have you listened to his podcasts in depth? It's ok if you haven't, it's just that in this case, it might help clear up any confusion. Also, i would be interested to know your reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with the ideas in those particular 3 podcasts, rather than the rest of his work. Otherwise, the conversation could become bogged down with endless tangents (or worse, battles over defininitions), which just tends to frustrate people.

Edited by Sergio