Objectivism Online Forum

Sangue de Galo Goals

Rate this topic

AMERICONORMAN

I have written a book of fiction. It is a novelette and you can purchase it here. Its most interesting aspect in my opinion is the ingenuity of the plot in relation to a very simple story that serves as my story’s basis. One day I found on the internet some information related to a national Portuguese folk tale. Not only do the French associate themselves with the rooster (or cock) as their symbol. The Portuguese do too.

At a time in history where the neighbors, Portugal and Spain, share animosity against each other, along with a natural suspicion; one day a Spaniard walks into a Portuguese town, Barcelos. A serious crime is committed. The townspeople come to believe that the Spanish stranger is the guilty party. They prepare to hang him.

The accused has an opportunity to see the sentencing judge. He pleads his innocence. There is a cock in the room. In one version I read, the cock is dead and cooked. Either, way, the accused, a little bit mystical, declares that if that cock releases his morning song, then it means that he is innocent. Lo and behold, the cock sings. The Spaniard is set free.

There was a seed for a story. Buy now. It's price is quite fair.

I wanted to make it set in Toronto and in modern day. Last summer the Portuguese and Italians clashed violently over World Cup soccer in my city. The incidents were few but still they are important and suggestive of something that may very well be part of the downfall of a city. The story would touch on this issue but the central purpose would be to present this old legend from Portugal in a new and interesting way.

So in what way would the accused of my story be a new comer to Toronto? What would be the crime and how serious would it be? Who would be the cock? What does it mean to be a cock? How would the singing of a cock be the cause of the acquittal of an accused, in a modern day metropolis, where alarm clocks replace his song, and where the advancements in genetic science and animal husbandry are causing a job shortage for an animal like the cock.

I chose to make the main characters soccer players. And I chose to have the events revolve around their involvement in soccer. I chose to have a professional soccer club named The Toronto Cocks.

In reviewing the work I have given the various sections headlines in my mind, or rather, in my journal. I decided to share this private estate to serve as an interesting prelude to what you will encounter when you chose to experience my story.

(To those of you who are familiar with some of the fiction I have written and posted on this forum, I will assure you that this story is not a romance love story; neither between a man and a woman, or a man and a man, or a woman and woman).

Behold the headlines below:

1. How the wine maker, Luis Galo, immigrated to Ontario.

2. How great grandson, Mike Galo, became a Toronto Cock.

3. Mike Galo’s best friend’s secret.

4. Tiago Viera on Honesty, Purpose, and Justice.

5. The grand legacy of Sangue de Galo.

6. The renunciation of Sangue de Galo over a glass of wine.

7. The consequences of organized crime.

8. Mike Galo and his Don Juan lust.

9. Mike Galo’s cock dance.

10. A suspicious looking Italian becomes a cock.

11. For the love of the game and a name.

12. How much does friendship cost in gold?

13. Who’s the bigger man?

14. Father’s news causes strife.

15. A virtuous game is played.

16. Who’s the better man?

17. Forced retirement.

18. Just hanging.

19. A Cock’s swansong.

The title of this story is Sangue de Galo Goals. ‘Sangue’ means blood. ‘Galo’ means cock or rooster.

“Even the devastation wrought by the shenanigans of organized crime could not stop the emergence of the greatness of the Galo family of Portugal. Their efficacious talents amidst the challenges of life, such as in agriculture, spread even into the world of professional soccer. Would this family remain unbeatable? And if they were to be defeated, would it be at the hands of another person or party, or would it arise from some defect within man’s soul? Would their defeat or triumph be considered a phenomenon of some collective, the family, or would it be a phenomenon of the individual? This is the fate you will discover when you enter into the world of Sangue de Galo Goals, and meet the likes of Mike Galo and Tiago Viera, bosom buddies encountering the challenges to man’s destiny." (Descpription originally found at Lulu dot com).

You will be able to preview 7 pages of the story by me, Jose Gainza, at www.lulu.com.

Thank you very much.

Jose Gainza.

Edited by AMERICONORMAN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have decided to add a PDF version of my story Sangue de Galo Goals to the world. It is edition 1.1 with preface, the story, and an appendix. It is 1.1 because I will in the near future be working on a 2nd edition, which will have some serious re-arrangements in the plot and style.

I hope you enjoy it.

Jose Gainza

Sangue_de_Galo_Goals_PDF.pdf