Objectivism Online Forum

Ask Dr. John Ridpath Questions

Rate this topic

North Texas Objectivist Society?

Is it? :)

This bait was probably intended for me, but I am in an uncomfortable position in replying to it totally because in the bylaws of NTOS (The North Texas Objectivist Society) it says that anyone who speaks out against NTOS or hosts a website that speaks out against NTOS will be kicked out of NTOS. I'm no longer a member, but David V (Greedy Capitalist) still is, and I wouldn't want my writing on his forum to get him kicked out of NTOS (because he and I are friends).

However, if you look at the public record of the NTOS website forum versus oo.net, one can observe that there really isn't a strong advocate for Objectivism on their forum whereas there are quite a few on oo.net. There used to be a few on NTOS, myself included, but they are no longer posting to that forum; and every once in a while an issue comes up that would require someone knowledgeable about Objectivism to tackle it head on.

So, NTOS is not blatantly anti-Objectivist, but it is not as strong of a supporter of the Objectivist position on many issues that I think it ought to be (especially via the public face of their website). And if I ran NTOS, I would make damned sure that Objectivism qua ideology was being represented on my website, including the forum (which is what I was doing when I was a member).

NTOS, as clearly stated, is a social club (activism is not it's goal) and anyone who is interested in Objectivism, even if not yet very knowledgable about it, is welcome.

As some of you here know, I had a chance to visit NTOS few weeks ago (Dr. Ridpath event). I had met in person people involved, both the organizers, with whom I had spend most of my time, and individual members. I had a wonderful time and, as a result, I am already planning on attending another of their events in the near future. The conversations were interesting and everyone was very respectful of each other - just how things should be between rational people. What a great atmosphere to be in.

Mr. Miovas, if some of you don't yet know, has been removed from this organization for being uncivil/insulting.

Edited by ~Sophia~

• 2 months later...

I just talked to Dr Ridpath on the phone. He does not want me to make his notes public, but he is OK with me sending them to anyone who requests them. He is just about finished with his essay on Nietzsche and offered to give me an interview when it is published in three months. If I decide to do so, I will solicit questions from this forum first.