Objectivism Online Forum

Skydiving: Objectivist definition of life as a value.

Rate this topic

jws1776

So what would an Objectivist approach to skydiving be, considering that life is held as a value, and the act of doing something that is relatively dangerous and a potential threat to one's life could be considered a goal worth persuing as a hobby or recreation. Is there a dichotomy that exists between holding life as a value, then engaging in a sport that could be considered a risk to that value?

Just looking for some input.

jws

So what would an Objectivist approach to skydiving be, considering that life is held as a value, and the act of doing something that is relatively dangerous and a potential threat to one's life could be considered a goal worth persuing as a hobby or recreation. Is there a dichotomy that exists between holding life as a value, then engaging in a sport that could be considered a risk to that value?

jws

Driving on the freeway at rush hour is more dangerous than skydiving. Yet many do it.

Bicycling on the public roads is more dangerous than skydiving, yet many do it.

Virtually anything dome for whatever reason has a degree of mortal risk. Such is life.

Bob Kolker

Edited by Robert J. Kolker

Well, this is interesting, because consider why a value is a value? I mean, first off, what is a value? It's something which one acts to gain or keep. But a value would be meaningless, to a human, if it were automatic, or if it were guaranteed. That struggle and risk involved in value-gaining is vital component in creating the elation and pride felt in the achievement of values.

Now look at sky-diving: one puts one's highest value, ones own life, at risk, to experience a defiance of the greatest physical force in the universe. There are many reasons why one goes sky-diving, but the so-called 'thrill factor' involved, as in a Roller-coaster, is found in the fact that one is being put in a position involving deadly forces, but is then able to conquer those forces.

I think of these sorts of things in terms of the Mosh pit. There are two types of people who Mosh: those who want to live, and those who want to die. The ones who want to live realise the fun of living, and by extension, will be as considerate as possible of other people in the pit as they can be; the ones who want to die, the nihilists, will try and take as many people with them.

jws

While I am by no means an expert on Objectivism, I do think that something like skydiving is a relatively safe endeavor that ideally does not put one's life at risk. Surviving is risky, and experience is the stuff life is made of; so experiencing the thrill of gliding through the atmosphere skydiving, to me, seems like nothing more than living life to the fullest, as one pleases. Smashing into something at sixty miles per hour in a car is risky, but it hardly dissuades people from driving. Personally, I don't find any dichotomy for Objectivist skydiving, and in fact, think there should be much more Objectivist skydiving! :)

Businessmen take risks every day that could make or break them. Risk taking is a part of an enjoyable life, however you must not do it blindly. The Businessman must have confidence in his decision and be ready for financial devastation in some cases. So too a skydiver must analyze the situation and make sure all his equipment is in order, and he must face the fact that it's a bit likely he will end up as a pancake on the side of some field in the middle of nowhere.