Objectivism Online Forum

Bad Day for the Democrats

Rate this topic

By Myrhaf from Myrhaf,cross-posted by MetaBlog

I have maintained that Hillary Clinton cannot win election as President. The Democrat base supports her; the Republicans and independents do not. It's impossible to win without independent votes.

I think the Democrats are blinded to Clinton's weakness as a candidate by their hope for a return that ol' Clinton glory. They have had the idea of a Hillary Clinton presidency in their minds since she ran for the Senate. They want it so bad they can taste it.

Two elections on Tuesday provide evidence of Hillary Clinton's weakness.

In Ohio, Republican Bob Latta clobbered Democrat Robin Weirauch, 57-43.

In Virginia, the score was 61-37 as Republican Rob Wittman stomped Democrat Phil Forgit, an Iraqi war veteran.

In both races, the Republican ran an ad linking the Democrat with Hillary Clinton. Ohio is a state the Democrats need to win a Presidential election.

I don't want to make too much out of two races, as the Clinton factor might have been negligible; on the other hand these elections might be a demonstration of Hillary Clinton's unpopularity. We'll see.

I suspect we're heading toward the biggest landslide since 1984 when Reagan demolished Mondale. I don't take any satisfaction in this. I fear the beneficiary will be Romney or McCain -- meaning more big government. Either man might push Congress to send him a bill mandating that young people serve the government for two years of their life in some "volunteer" program.

(And another thought. Given how unhinged the Democrats have been during the Bush Presidency, what will they be like if they lose again in 2008?)

View the full article

I have maintained that Hillary Clinton cannot win election as President. The Democrat base supports her; the Republicans and independents do not. It's impossible to win without independent votes.

Wasn't the same thing allegedly "true" about George W. Bush in the year 2000?

I suspect we're heading toward the biggest landslide since 1984 when Reagan demolished Mondale. I don't take any satisfaction in this. I fear the beneficiary will be Romney or McCain -- meaning more big government. Either man might push Congress to send him a bill mandating that young people serve the government for two years of their life in some "volunteer" program.

My perception is that the 2008 Presidential election will largely be a referendum on whether we should remain in Iraq. If I am not mistaken, the war in Iraq is currently very unpopular with voting Americans. In this respect, the Democrats have an enormous advantage coming into 2008.

My perception is that the 2008 Presidential election will largely be a referendum on whether we should remain in Iraq. If I am not mistaken, the war in Iraq is currently very unpopular with voting Americans. In this respect, the Democrats have an enormous advantage coming into 2008.

I actually don't think that the Iraq war will be much of a factor in '08. I agree that the war is not particularly popular, but its unpopularity is hanging around the neck of Bush--who is not running for anything--and wont necessarily be transfered to the gop candidate. Plus, things are improving over there and the issue will more likely be about who is best able to handle what we do in Iraq next. If the democrat position is to see how fast we can get our troops out of there without regard to the consequences, I dont think that will go over well with the electorate. Surrender is not likely to be a particularly good election strategy. And that is what all of the dems are advocating.