Objectivism Online Forum

Which Dictionary?

Rate this topic

In a letter to a fan circa 1965, Ayn Rand wrote - 'I sympathize with your problem, particularly in regard to modern dictionaries. Perhaps the older dictionaries (of about thirty years ago) may be somewhat more helpful.'

Then I go back to The Fountainhead and read this: 'The error was caused by my reliance on a dictionary which gave such misleading definitions of these two words that "egotist" seemed closer to the meaning I intended (Webster's Daily Use Dictionary, 1933).'

In other words, she advised a fan to look back to around 1935 for a decent dictionary -- and yet in the 1940s she had a problem with a dictionary published in 1933. So my question is: how far back do I need to go to find a trustworthy dictionary, one that's not "modern"? And why did she trust a Random House dictionary published in 1966? (See her article 'Credibility and Polarization.')

It's not necessarily a matter of trusting the dictionary as a whole, but rather of finding a dictionary that gives a definition that most accurately relates the concept the word represents. This can vary within a single dictionary from definition to definition.

Dr. Peikoff discusses dictionaries in his eighth podcast, available at his website.

~Q

... how far back do I need to go to find a trustworthy dictionary, one that's not "modern"? And why did she trust a Random House dictionary published in 1966?
You don't have to go back in time, rather you have to find a good dictionary.

Dr. Peikoff discusses dictionaries in his eighth podcast, available at his website.

Actually I think it is podcast7 and he mentions the Oxford English Dictionary as "head and shoulders above the rest". Even then, he says the OED may not provide you with a proper definition but it links so many concepts together and provides a good enough etymology that you should be able to figure it out.

How would one go about judging whether or not a dictionary is good? Or if it's even accurate?

Here's one tip.

A good dictionary provides the derivation of a word. That is, it tells you the origins of the word as derived from other languages. English is a Germanic language, but it incorporates a lot of Greco-Latin derived words, as well as many of Romance provenance. Derivations are useful in a technical sense.

Also one with longer, better detailed definitions is more useful than a concise one. A concise dictionary is a good reference tool in a hurry, though.

Here's one tip.

A good dictionary provides the derivation of a word. That is, it tells you the origins of the word as derived from other languages. English is a Germanic language, but it incorporates a lot of Greco-Latin derived words, as well as many of Romance provenance. Derivations are useful in a technical sense.

Also one with longer, better detailed definitions is more useful than a concise one. A concise dictionary is a good reference tool in a hurry, though.

OED is the dictionary god, and I always check the etymology for any interesting aspects. It also provides numerous historic examples of the word in use, though the examples are often stripped of context and are only presented as evidence of use.

Edited by brian0918