Objectivism Online Forum

Gail Wynand

Rate this topic

Hi. My name is Robert, 19 years old, and live in California. I have read almost all of Ayn Rands fiction and philosophy. My question is what does Ayn Rand mean, in the Fountainhead, when she wrote that Gail Wynand would "break" if Howard Roark said his name. The reason I am wondering is because I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and there may be some corrolation, and I certainly don't want to break. It may be an unjustified fear, and probably is, but still that part of the book I don't understand. Can someone help me out?

Hi. My name is Robert, 19 years old, and live in California. I have read almost all of Ayn Rands fiction and philosophy. My question is what does Ayn Rand mean, in the Fountainhead, when she wrote that Gail Wynand would "break" if Howard Roark said his name. The reason I am wondering is because I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and there may be some corrolation, and I certainly don't want to break. It may be an unjustified fear, and probably is, but still that part of the book I don't understand. Can someone help me out?

Can you give us a page number and the version you're looking at? Or at least the context of the passage?

Can you give us a page number and the version you're looking at? Or at least the context of the passage?

sure: page 723

you know, I think I misread the book and I understand it better now. It basically meant that if Roark said his name and tried to be friendly with him, it would hurt Gail.

"Roark knew that the last act of kindness he could offer was to claim no bond. He knew he would break what was left of the man before him if he pronounced one word: Gail"

From what I recall, this line is from when Roark goes to Wynand's office after the trial to discuss Wynand's skyscraper. Gail is obviously very hurt for losing his integrity once more to his newspaper and also losing Dominique to Roark. If Roark pronounces Gail's name, Roark knows he will bring back all the intimate memories they share...such as their yacht trip, the house Roark built for him, lounging on the grass outside the house, etc.

Gail tries to maintain a distance between himself and Roark, as if they never were such good friends. Roarks helps him by not pronouncing his name.

Edited by Mimpy