Objectivism Online Forum

Don't Like Taxes?

Rate this topic

Mammon

I am not saying all corporations are states. I am saying states are corporations. A dog is an animal, but not all animals are dogs.

Okay, now I see what you're saying.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plato defined Democracy as the rule of the many in their own self-interest, which he opposed to Polity which was rule of the many in the interest of the whole?

Of those two Plato believed the former was the worst method of governance and the latter the best. Of course he advocated the ideal of the Philosopher King as THE best form of government. :P

The only distinction between a Republic and any other form of Democracy that I'm aware of is the nature of the Head of State. Canada's form of democracy, is a Constitutional Monarchy because technically the Queen (Elizabeth the 2nd in her Role as Queen of Canada) is the head of state,whereas in the US the President is the Head of State.

We both elect representatives to government in the same way There is no distinction between a Republic and any other representative democracy.

Now if you are speaking of "democracy" as being a direct democracy a la Athenian democracy, then you have a point. Otherwise the terms you are using are not the ones you are seeking.

Edited by Zip

I am referring to direct democracy, one of the worst possible forms of government. In modern times, in the free West, there are parlamentary democracies, constitutional monarchies and republics, of which we are one. Purusal of our founding documents and pre-constitutional arguements, such as the Federalist Papers make this obvious.

Plato's republic is an oligarchy; undesirable and unworkable. An elitist dictatorship.