Objectivism Online Forum

Quantum Entanglement And Esp

Rate this topic

tommyedison

I recently read on the internet about Quantum Entanglement in which two particles' properties are bound to each other and the change to one particle's property affects the other particle's same property. I also read that such a change is instanteous and travels at infinite speed. Einstein described the quantum physics explanation of quantum entanglement as spooky. Is there any valid rational theory till now which can explain quantum entanglement

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On the Discovery Channel, I saw a program concerning ESP. Can ESP really exist. They said that Quantum Entanglement could perhaps explain ESP. And do you think that consciousness has the power to influence reality in any way, just by concentrating.

Did the program attempt to describe how ESP and quantum entanglement were related, or was that assertion simply made blindly.

For example, attempts have at least been made to describe how a soul (in the religious, ghost-like sense) could interact with a brain using quantum indeterminancy in calcium re-uptake at synapses. (Which I personally consider a rather weak, but strangely honest attempt at the subject.)

Was any similar attempt made on this show? Or did they merely give a vague impression that one really weird aspect of the universe, could explain the appearance of another?

I recently read on the internet about Quantum Entanglement in which two particles' properties are bound to each other and the change to one particle's property affects the other particle's same property. I also read that such a change is instanteous and travels at infinite speed. Einstein described the quantum physics explanation of quantum entanglement as spooky.

The description you relate is a poor interpretation of experimental facts. There is no observation of any instantaneous change, nor any observation of an influence traveling at an infinite speed. All that is actually observed are correlations between separately detected particles, and all the rest is inferred by use of an irrational theory. No change is instantaneous and nothing propagates at an infinite speed.

Is there any valid rational theory till now which can explain quantum entanglement
See http://speicher.com/tew.html for a non-technical explanation.

On the Discovery Channel, I saw a program concerning ESP. Can ESP really exist. They said that Quantum Entanglement could perhaps explain ESP.

Sometimes the Discovery channel can be very silly. This is an instance.

And do you think that consciousness has the power to influence reality in any way, just by concentrating.

Sure. I do it all the time.

Since you brought it up, Stephen, what is your current take on the Theory of Elementary Waves [TEW, Lewis Little]? I had read some of the material when it was first distributed, which struck me as more whining than theory, and then dropped it. Some time later, I recall hearing through various Objectivist forums (HBL for instance) that the theory had been discredited.

Care to comment (briefly)?

Since you brought it up, Stephen, what is your current take on the Theory of Elementary Waves [TEW, Lewis Little]?  I had read some of the material when it was first distributed, which struck me as more whining than theory, and then dropped it. 

That is a real shame since you missed out on a brilliant theory.

Some time later, I recall hearing through various Objectivist forums (HBL for instance) that the theory had been discredited.
The only thing that has been "discredited" are a few ignorant and/or self-serving naysayers.

Care to comment (briefly)?

As I have stated elsewhere, this is not the proper forum for discussion of the TEW. There exists a small group of detractors who, for whatever nefarious reasons, distort the theory and attack its supporters on personal grounds. I have no interest in spending my time countering lies from dishonest people. I am more than willing to have rational discussion about the TEW on any seriously moderated forum. HBL is not a physics forum, but philosophically related questions there are approriate, though Harry is understandably cautious about threads which are rather contentious. For both philosophical and physics-related questions, more appropriate would be the TEW discussion list, http://Physics.prodos.ORG