Objectivism Online Forum

Yahoo Finance hilarity

Rate this topic

brian0918

Every morning I've been watching the changing headlines on Yahoo Finance. They never seem to learn from the past. These last few days, the govt/Fed have been taking a new action every day that's supposed to save us all. In the morning, stocks start to rise. YF says: Market Soars As Investors Look Favorably to New Govt Intervention!

Half an hour later, stocks plummet, YF changes headline to: Market Plummets As Investors Find Little Relief in New Govt Intervention. That's been the case for at least the last few days, and the same thing happened today. Stocks went up in the morning, they released their first headline, then stocks plummeted immediately and they released their revised headline.

It's almost like watching the Ministry of Truth in action. :dough:

Edited by brian0918

Most of the time, the explanations that go "The market rose/fell because ....." are simply someone's guess at reasons. On TV, there's another tendency: to interview bearish folk on days the market goes down a lot, and bullish folk on days it jumps up. Funnier still, are the guys like Larry Kudlow, who will put a political spin on every up and downturn. I haven't watched him for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was saying things like: "the market is going down because Obama is increasing his lead in the polls."

Funnier still, are the guys like Larry Kudlow, who will put a political spin on every up and downturn.

That reminds me of this couple on one of the Jesus channels, in which the pasty-faced wife reads news stories, and then the camera cuts to the jolly old husband talking about how these news events are described in the Bible, with citations as necessary.

That reminds me of this couple on one of the Jesus channels, in which the pasty-faced wife reads news stories, and then the camera cuts to the jolly old husband talking about how these news events are described in the Bible, with citations as necessary.
Loons! Everyone knows that the volatility was predicted by Nostradamus, when he said "In the reign of the shrub, there shall come thorns and flowers". Obviously, "Bush" is simply another word for shrub, and the highs and lows of volatility are well represented by thorns and flowers. :blink:

This is absolutely ridiculous! They must be violating some sort of journalistic standards with these idiotic stories. The Dow was up 120 points for 15 minutes, and the headline said that Stocks Are Up As People Hunt for Bargains. They claimed the reason for the 15 minute hike was bargain-hunting.

A half hour later, it's down 200, and *poof* the headline magically disappears. I bet they have an automated system that spits out these bullshit stories every time the Dow hits certain highs or lows.

The Dow was up 120 points for 15 minutes, and the headline said that Stocks Are Up As People Hunt for Bargains.
When there is no "external" explanation for the market going up, they'll call it "bargain hunting", and when there's none for it going down they'll call it "profit taking".

A half hour later, it's down 200, and *poof* the headline magically disappears. I bet they have an automated system that spits out these bullshit stories every time the Dow hits certain highs or lows.

Shell out a few grand and get a Bloomberg. Then you'll get the real headlines, and you'll get them at the same time traders at major investment banks get them (which is usually at least 10 minutes before you see them anywhere else).