Objectivism Online Forum

Reading the bible is the surest path to atheism

Rate this topic

DavidV

On an interesting note, I challenged my younger sister to actually read the bible. She didn't get through genesis before she came to me with questions. :D So I guess we should encourage everyone we know to read the bible, as a method of facing them with their own irrationality.

What do you do with those poor souls who don't or won't read the bible and still want to believe in God? You've probably met them before. The "Christians" who don't read the bible (or don't believe it's the word of God) and yet still call themselves Christians? :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do with those poor souls who don't or won't read the bible and still want to believe in God? You've probably met them before. The "Christians" who don't read the bible (or don't believe it's the word of God) and yet still call themselves Christians? :D

Well, they've had it pounded into their head for so long that Christianity is equivalent to all they know. A house, car, family, civilization, school, running water, they don't believe any of these things are possible unless people operate under the basic Christian guidelines. In their mind if Atheists ruled the world, no matter what their beliefs, all hell would break loose. Cars would be set on fire, houses broken into, family members raped and murdered, etc. This is the vision of society they equate with people who reject the Christian doctrines of human interaction.

We've got a long way to go before we win this war.

What do you do with those poor souls who don't or won't read the bible and still want to believe in God? You've probably met them before. The "Christians" who don't read the bible (or don't believe it's the word of God) and yet still call themselves Christians? :D

I have met several of those people, and I could convince all but one to read the bible. The one that refused to read the bible , but insisted he believed in the christian god was a very funny case. The conversation went like this:

me: You're telling me you believe in a supreme god with no reasoning behind it, but you wont believe in Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, or aliens?

him: None of those things have proof though. I have the Bible (points to his bible).

me: Have you read that f@*&ing book?

him: No, I don't need to read it to know it's the word of God.

me: :D

him: :some rediculous face there isn't a smiley for:

me: Do you know all the stories? Do you believe those?

him: Well no, those don't make sense.

me: But it's the word of "God" so they must be true.

him: You're just trying to cause trouble. You need help. Leave me alone.

me: :lol:

• 1 month later...

I got an email from someone claiming to be the person who made that post, I'm fairly confident that it is the right person. I would like to keep a dialogue going with her, but I'm trying not to be too pushy, it seems there has been a digital torrent of messages coming to her from both sides ever since she made that post. I'll post updates here if anyone expresses interest, however I won't be giving out her email address so please respect her privacy and don't ask.

-RR

I got an email from someone claiming to be the person who made that post, I'm fairly confident that it is the right person. I would like to keep a dialogue going with her, but I'm trying not to be too pushy, it seems there has been a digital torrent of messages coming to her from both sides ever since she made that post. I'll post updates here if anyone expresses interest, however I won't be giving out her email address so please respect her privacy and don't ask.

-RR

Congratulations, and do go easy on her she must indeed gone trough a lot. :)

I wonder if we'll have a situation like this about environmentalism in a while. :lol: