Objectivism Online Forum

Data mining Google adsense keywords

Rate this topic

brian0918

I read an interesting message board post describing how this individual earns $15k a month by mining high-value Google adsense keyphrases, picking out the ones with the least number of Google search results, and finding in those the ones that have long-term popularity. He then creates a domain and hires real, native English speaking people to write real, original articles on popular subjects of those key phrases.

On the one hand, this seems more legitimate than those sites generated by bots, but on the other hand, if the articles that are being churned out are full of falsehoods, that certainly seems like a bad thing. But I'm hoping to get away from intuitionism and toward some rational grounding. Any help?

Do such services serve some non-obvious purpose - like short selling, for example, which has a bad reputation but is actually good for the market.

Do such services serve some non-obvious purpose...
None that I can tell. (If we assume that the information he presents is not useful, and that he makes no real attempt to make it useful.) The way people like that advertise for services, the best they can expect is extremely low quality stuff.

People like that are only pretending to create something of value, in order to get other people's money.

(If we assume that the information he presents is not useful, and that he makes no real attempt to make it useful.)

If I know nothing about the keyword I just searched for, a summary site like this guy makes definitely has value greater than zero. He is not just a domain squatter.

I do not think these people are doing anything beneficial. Their goal is not to create websites that are useful for human beings, but that are just plausible enough to fool search engines into thinking that they are useful. Most of their content is not meant to be read by human beings, but only to raise the rank of the target site above that of legitimate websites with original content. Once a person clicks on their website, their only goal is to get you to leave it by clicking on an ad.

To see how they pollute the web, try searching for a popular term. Can you tell which websites contain original information and which are adsense sites?

http://www.google.com/search?q=acai+berry

If I know nothing about the keyword I just searched for, a summary site like this guy makes definitely has value greater than zero. He is not just a domain squatter.

The thing is, the information he is providing may be false. While the articles are written by a real, native English human, they're not necessarily true. They're just made to sound as natural as possible, and to focus on specific keywords.

Now, if they actually were well-researched and factual, I'm all for it, but then the articles would take much longer to write, and cost a lot more, so there goes his huge profits!

It's pretty repulsing to think that there's someone out there who, for a living, writes falsehoods. [insert joke about your least favorite newspaper here]

Edited by brian0918

I do not think these people are doing anything beneficial. Their goal is not to create websites that are useful for human beings, but that are just plausible enough to fool search engines into thinking that they are useful. Most of their content is not meant to be read by human beings, but only to raise the rank of the target site above that of legitimate websites with original content. Once a person clicks on their website, their only goal is to get you to leave it by clicking on an ad.

To see how they pollute the web, try searching for a popular term. Can you tell which websites contain original information and which are adsense sites?

http://www.google.com/search?q=acai+berry

You really have to be careful about these broad assertions. This can be true, but if there was no market for it, it wouldn't exist. There is a value there and the value is that, if done properly, people click on these ads to go to find things that they really need and or want. Google is not an idiot. They track conversions and will adjust your earnings if you start sending advertisers crap traffic.

It's really ingenious I think as a self-regulating mechanism. The advertiser wins (obviously), the customer wins, because he finds what he is looking for (proved by the conversion) and the publisher wins by revenue share with google.

By the way, google is pretty decent at sorting out irrelevant info from relevant info. They are pretty good at punishing spam blogs and sites. So, while the content may not be exactly the best or most interesting on some of these sites, it does connect people to the products they are looking for. Some of these advertisers either don't know how to do SEO or aren't interested in it. Even the spammers only last a short while until they get slapped by google.

Now, a really good example of how this is done correctly I think is askthebuilder.com I am attempting to do something similar with my blog. His model is simple. Provide useful information for free, and then provide the google adwords on his site to provide the tools they'll need for the projects he describes. When done properly, it rakes in a lot of money.