Objectivism Online Forum

Name Change?

Rate this topic

I wasn't sure if there was a thread dedicated to name changes, or if this is the appropriate forum, but I was thinking about changing my name. I made this one around two years ago cause I really wasn't an imaginative mood. I suppose I still am not, since I'd rather my name on here just be my proper first name, Ryan. If there is already a Ryan, then RyanC. Certainly having my own name would be far more egoistic? :dough:

Thanks.

We mods have been discussing this, though none of us has replied here.

One wee problem with name changes is: responses that use the poster's previous name (either in quote block, making it a little easier to trace back, or simply in the text of the reply). If name changes proliferate, we'd have "referential chaos" (to steal a term from David Odden). So, in general, we've discouraged name-changes. The other wee negative is that -- at first -- some people may not realize that the newbie is actually the same old old-time poster who simply changed his name.

With that said, we have changed names for folks, particularly when they're concerned about privacy and have registered with their real names. That isn't a problem for John Smith, but someone with a very rare name could find his OO.net posts coming back at the top of a search result for anyone Googling his name. When doing so, we've usually asked people to add a line in their signature saying something like "Member formerly known as 'xxxx'", at least for a while.

Up to now, this has been pretty ad hoc. Suggestions on what the rules ought to be in this regard are welcome.

In other words, no rule at all. But then how can we "decide individually", if there is no guiding principle? We would have to toss a coin.

Fair enough. How about this for a guiding principle? The merits of the name change outweigh the problems and hassles that would be caused.

The onus of proving one's case rests with the individual who desires the name change, and the mods/admins reserve the right to judge whether the individual has proven that the merits outweigh the problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you saying you want to change your nick here, or change your legal name?? :thumbsup:

Yeap, I do, mine is registered as Kaiwia Gardiner when it should be Kaiwai Gardiner; or do I have to create a whole new account (which seems kind of stupid).

Yeap, I do, mine is registered as Kaiwia Gardiner when it should be Kaiwai Gardiner...

It looks right to me. Perhaps a mod corrected it for you? (And I would imagine with a typo, they would have no problem making that sort of change.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.