Objectivism Online Forum

Washington And Politics

Rate this topic

tommyedison

I just got this quote of George Washington of a forum discussion. Is it true?

Do not let anyone claim to be a true American if they ever attempt to remove religion from politics.”

-George Washington

Did George Washington really want religion into politics?

I suspect that this alleged quotation is a hoax. First of all, searches on Google and Alltheweb show that the quote appears exclusively on evangelical Christian web sites -- and usually without attribution. One site (christdot.org) claims the quotation is from Washington’s Farewell Address. But a search of that address at http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/m...ewell/text.html shows nothing even remotely resembling the quotation, although Washington does speak favorably of religion in the speech.

Secondly, the language of the sentence is a far remove from the parlance of colonial America. There is a very low probability that a chauvinistic term like “true American” would be used among the founders of the new republic. Furthermore, a glaring pronoun-antecedent disagreement appears between the main and subordinate clauses: “anyone . . . if they” should be “anyone . . . if he.” Washington was no Milton, but neither was he a grammatical dunce.

My guess is that some evangelist decided that an authentic quotation from Washington could not be understood by his modern, semi-literate flock. So he took a sentence like “Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports” and converted it into 20th century Americanese.