Objectivism Online Forum

Search doesn't work.

Rate this topic

I've been going to these forums for quite a while now and this seems to be a new problem. While trying to search for a topic with specified keywords a blank page shows up. I am using Firefox. Is there any way for me to be able to search? This would seem like something that needs fixing!

Use Google. Type in "[the subject to be searched] AND objectivism online" and you'll get much more accurate results than w/ the forum's search engine (in my experience anyway.)

Edited by K-Mac

The forum's search simply looks for exact words. Many a time this will miss stuff (because a slightly different word was used in the post) or will bring back too much (a word that is used very commonly). Google can handle some degree of synonyms and can weight results (particularly if one specifies multiple words).

The forum's search works better in one case: when one knows what one is looking for, and know that the word occurred in a title ("Search Titles only" option). E.g. try searching titles-only for the word "taxes".

I often do search in titles. However, if you're looking for a title with more than one word, it will often split up both words and search for either one in the title, not both combined.

I often do search in titles. However, if you're looking for a title with more than one word, it will often split up both words and search for either one in the title, not both combined.
To search for both combined, you have to use the "+" symbol, to mark each term as "must have".

For instance, go to search, select "Titles Only" and search for +medicine +taxes

From the "Advanced usage help" on the forum search page:

apple banana	  Find posts that contain at least one of these words
+apple +juice Find posts with both words
+apple -juice Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'
apple* Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'
"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'[/code]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.