Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, I'm Mark, an engineer in training, and a newly minted Objectivist. I'm not too new to the site (been lurking for a few months), but this is my first day posting, so I thought an introduction was in order. To give a bit of background, it was a year or two ago when I discovered Ayn Rand via Atlas Shrugged, which was fortunate, as I was beginning to fall into the trap of thinking that my only options were "ruled or ruler", so to speak. Since then I've collected and read all of Ayn Rand's books, along with OPAR, and thus far, I have found that the Objectivist philosophy makes sense to me, which is a refreshing change after reading the philosophical writings of other authors, including Kant, Nietzsche, and some of Camus' work.

In any case, I am glad to be joining this community, and I hope to learn much more about the systematic application of Objectivist principles during my stay.

Edited by Markoso

I have found that the Objectivist philosophy makes sense to me, which is a refreshing change after reading the philosophical writings of other authors, including Kant, Nietzsche, and some of Camus' work.

Hi Mark!

You're spot-on about the difference between Objectivism and basically every other philosophy. Objectivism is great because it doesn't require you to think of yourself as fatally flawed, or unavoidably deluded, or bound by "duty" to do things that make you miserable. It starts from what makes us human and builds on our strengths.

Welcome to the board!