Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking a therapist who is an objectivist... in Los Angeles

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm seeking a marriage and family therapist in the LA area to help my partner and I deal with some infidelity.

If anyone has ANY advice in this area please send me a note, or reply to this topic.

many thanks

Why not give Dr. Hurd a call. His website: www.doctorhurd.com

He is an Objectivist psychotherapist I've worked with, and it turned out pretty good.

Finding a therapist who understands your philosophy is certainly good, but if you are looking more for a local therapist, Psychology Today has a great search function to find a local therapist. I would recommend finding one who does cognitive therapy not behavioral therapy or emotional therapy. You want to find out explicitly what is bothering you and bring it to the conscious level so you can deal with it cognitively. I managed to find one who doesn't know a thing about Objectivism but is still helpful, and sometimes it is good to talk to a person who is there in the same room with you so the therapist can better read things like your body language and emotional reactions to suggestions.

One thing I have found out, however, is that some psychologist will do some strange things just to see how you react. This can give them an insight into some malignities, as in the more healthy you are, the more you will just consider them to be weird and not have a negative emotional reaction to a sudden stimuli.