Objectivism Online Forum

Question on thinking properly

Rate this topic

Hi, in the Ayn Rand lexicon, it says about thinking: "the process of thinking is defining identity and discovering causal connections." It goes on to say in another entry that thinking is the process of identification (like the first entry) and integration (this I don't know if it's like the first entry). So, my question is, what is thinking aside from defining identity? I don't understand discovering causal connections or integration. Any help is welcome. Thanks

Integration has several usages.

It is noticing similarities, and then uniting them as in forming concepts from implicit concepts

It is preserving unity and consistency by rejecting contradictions

It is accumulation of parts (or memories etc.) over time which forms a sum, or a whole which is more than the sum.

It is inducing abstractions (such as causation) from observations

"The process of thinking . . . is the process of defining identity and discovering causal connections." is an essentialized version. There are lots of other things that are thinking but those two are the cause of, or a result of, or equivalent to other processes of thought.