Objectivism Online Forum

Is It Really Hopeless?

Rate this topic

tommyedison

A pro-American, republican government

I seriously doubt it--the way this war is going. Not that I automatically believe Scott Taylor's story, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. The Iraqis see America losing the fight, so many of them are naturally concerned about their futures with the religious zealots in charge. If they get in the way of the terrorists, they will be punished. Clearly America can't protect them.

"What kind of government?"

It is very often morally right for a government to be something other than what the majority would have. I dare say that if today's Americans were to write a US Constitution from scratch, they would end up with a document that is far weaker than what we have today.

Unfortunately, it is impractical for a government to be something other than what a vast majority would have, unless the government is willing to use force against those who disagree with it.

In a "long term" sense, most governments at least start with support from a large segment of the population.

The presence of US forces in Iraq ensures that democracy does not get free reign. This is a good thing. However, finally, the only practical thing to do is to leave Iraq with an "Iraqi" government. This means that Iraq might have to be left with a less than ideal law, as long as we are confident that it is one that will set them firmly on the path to freedom.