Objectivism Online Forum

Switzerland vs. Libya

Rate this topic

Danneskjöld

The swiss party "Lega dei Ticinesi" makes propaganda for war against Libya.

Rough overview of the occurings:

A year ago, the son of Libyas president Gaddafi was arrested in Geneva/Switzerland for mistreatment of employees of the nobel hotel. He was released shortly after, in the meantime Gaddafi imprisoned two Swiss businessmen in Libya.

The businessmen are still held in Libya, even though the Swiss president Merz went to visit Gaddafi two weeks ago and got the (it seems only implicit, and not factual written) promise, they would be released before september. But now they will have to face court for a visa delict soon and are not allowed to leave the Libya.

Sidenotes: Since Gaddafi's son's imprisonment (which was correct according to Swiss law) Gaddafi has cut the relationship to switzerland to a minimum except for threatening. He said that he would approve of an atomic bomb on Switzerland. Last month, he brought to the UNO the request, that in their next session (being held in New York shortly) they would be debating the extinction of Switzerland, of distributing its land to the neighbouring countries Germany, France and Italy.

So now the "Lega dei Ticinesi" demands a military intervention to rescue the hostages out of Libya.

Would that be justifiable?

So now the "Lega dei Ticinesi" demands a military intervention to rescue the hostages out of Libya.

Would that be justifiable?

Yes. The hostages were taken by force, in retaliation for the propper actions of the Swiss government (arresting someone for assault is a protection of individual rights). It would also be advisable for Swiss nationals not to visit Lybia for the time being.

However, it's not necessarily the right course of action. I'm sure Switzerland can bring to bear pressure of a non-military nature on Lybia's governemnt (I'd be surprised if Gadaffi and at least dozens of his cronies don't have some money in Swiss banks) to free the hostages. On no account should Switzerland make any concessions at all.

Another thing the Swiss could do is seize two random Lybian antionals and threaten to do unto them what Mad Dog Gadaffi does tot he Swiss hostages. This wouldn't be fair for the Lybians involved, but it would be justified as a "humane" display of force.

Yes. The hostages were taken by force, in retaliation for the propper actions of the Swiss government (arresting someone for assault is a protection of individual rights). It would also be advisable for Swiss nationals not to visit Lybia for the time being.

However, it's not necessarily the right course of action. I'm sure Switzerland can bring to bear pressure of a non-military nature on Lybia's governemnt (I'd be surprised if Gadaffi and at least dozens of his cronies don't have some money in Swiss banks) to free the hostages. On no account should Switzerland make any concessions at all.

Another thing the Swiss could do is seize two random Lybian antionals and threaten to do unto them what Mad Dog Gadaffi does tot he Swiss hostages. This wouldn't be fair for the Lybians involved, but it would be justified as a "humane" display of force.

Well, I definitely do not think that it is the right course, even though it might be justifiable.

About the money: 16.07.2009 was to be read in our newspapers, that Gaddafi withdraw 5.8 billion dollars from swiss bank accounts, which is 89% of Libyans money in Switzerland. Well, I guess that is officially true, but there might well be hidden money through stooges of stooges of the Gaddafi-Clan in our banks.

Hehe, actually it would definitely be not fair to the Libyens, but would be fun to observe Gaddafis reaction to that.

Well, about the conscessions, I am not sure actually what was going on with our "presidents" visit down there. There was to be read some days ago, that in the contract is something written like "from now on no Libyans are going to be molested in Switzerland anymore"... but no word of the hostages...

About the money: 16.07.2009 was to be read in our newspapers, that Gaddafi withdraw 5.8 billion dollars from swiss bank accounts, which is 89% of Libyans money in Switzerland. Well, I guess that is officially true, but there might well be hidden money through stooges of stooges of the Gaddafi-Clan in our banks.

Sure. And he's going to deposit some of his withdawls in the same manner. He's not going to sit on the money (try to determine what even 1% annual interest is on a billion dolalrs per month).

Hehe, actually it would definitely be not fair to the Libyens, but would be fun to observe Gaddafis reaction to that.

Given the overall impression of the West as spineless, particualrly in Europe, Gaddafi might well execute one hostage to see fi the Swiss follow through.

Well, about the conscessions, I am not sure actually what was going on with our "presidents" visit down there. There was to be read some days ago, that in the contract is something written like "from now on no Libyans are going to be molested in Switzerland anymore"... but no word of the hostages...

I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, these days when dealing with Arabs or Muslims the tendency in the West is to apologize to them for pummeling their fists with our collective face.

Sure. And he's going to deposit some of his withdawls in the same manner. He's not going to sit on the money (try to determine what even 1% annual interest is on a billion dolalrs per month).

Yeah. But I also could imagine that Swiss banks will check cash transfers thouroughly made by known connections of Gaddafi. And refuse them and/or freeze further accounts. As over 4 trillion dollars is deposited in Switzerland, they will give a shit on Gaddafis money and will try to hit him this way.

Given the overall impression of the West as spineless, particualrly in Europe, Gaddafi might well execute one hostage to see fi the Swiss follow through.

Probably. His recent ceremony, where he celebrated the 40th anniversary of the revolution and his dictatorship, is said to have been bigger and more expensive than the opening celebration of the olympic games in Bejing. And there they celebratet the recently freed Lockerbie assassin Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi as a hero, and performed an act showing executions through hanging.

I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, these days when dealing with Arabs or Muslims the tendency in the West is to apologize to them for pummeling their fists with our collective face.

The most shocking thing is, not only when dealing with Arabs or Muslims. The tendency is to apologize to everyone for everything...

I'd like to see evidence that there was an assault. The available objective evidence is that the charge was, literally, mistreatment of employee. Being rude or asking for extra towels is not a criminal offense in the civilized world. Tell us why we should believe that the Swiss government was protecting anyone's rights in this matter. I'm just looking for the facts.