Objectivism Online Forum

What do you guys make of something like this?

Rate this topic

Schtank

There's plenty of logic in it, but unfortunately, it seems that people confuse "logic" with "my emotional outbursts".

It's like waiting until your house gets set on fire, and THEN calling for fire insurance and wondering why you can't get fire insurance.

Of course, there would probably be a lot less "pre-existing conditions" if we didn't rely on our employers to provide us health insurance. Too many people do that nowadays, and because of it, it ties them to their job. What happens when you get fired?

The logic is pretty clear - insurance could not exist otherwise. Nobody would be willing to pay into insurance over years and years if they could just wait until they get sick to get insured. So insurance would go bankrupt. The government with their nationalized healthcare will try to avoid that by fining people who don't buy insurance. Insurance companies could never fine the entire country for not buying their insurance, so it could never work on a private level without that restriction. The logic is obvious.

Edited by brian0918

And your government will soon seek to decrease its budgetary expenditures by limiting access to medical treatment.

Why do Americans think that Canadians travel to the US to get hip replacements & CAT scans?

Did you know that the Canadian government forbids private owners of CAT scan machines (mostly veterinary clinics) from scanning people? Why?, no it's not because the system will or can do it as quickly it is because they are afraid that they will make a profit off of it, and that would destroy the egalitarian provision of government controlled medical care.

Either that or when they claim that they're doing it "for the children."

Ah, the inhumanity of not being humane. Obviously such an attitude merits one for scorn, derision, outright attack, banishment, and forbids one the privileges of the same humanity deserved by the least of mammals. Of course, you do sometimes qualify for a smidgen of mercy at the last moment - because your persecuters must definitively show just how undeserving you are of that mercy. Which by their standard is how you deserve it.

Of course, this is not to say that all hope is lost for people with pre-existing conditions. If there is a demand for something, it will be provided. We have charities. People start charities because they know how profitable they are. People give money to charities for advertising purposes.

But we're against charities, because we don't feel that an individual should rely on another individual. I suppose we feel that the government should provide everything "vital to life", and we should not have to rely on another person. Reliance on the government has become our method of being reliant on noone.

Why do Americans think that Canadians travel to the US to get hip replacements & CAT scans?

Hahaha, a Canadian is talking about this. Usually when I bring this up, canadians will bitch me out for bringing it up.

They'll also say "OH WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE IN AMERICA WHO GO TO _____, FOR CHEAP OPERATIONS".

Sucks for them. Conservatives, libertarians, and objectivists have never argued that insurance was not too costly. They're just smart enough to realize that MORE government is not the solution.

When anyone appeals specifically to a sense of "humanity", that's usually when I stop listening.

The phrase that causes sudden temporary deafness for me is "social justice".

What I glean from those who claim to advocate social justice is that it is greedy for someone to earn something and desire to keep it but not greedy for someone to earn nothing and expect it given to them. The problem is they get very flustered and angry when you put it in those terms.