Objectivism Online Forum

Traditional Jewish Town Requests Public Modesty

Rate this topic

ZSorenson

I read <a href="http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/31/welcome-to-kiryas-joel-please-dress-accordingly/">this</a>, and was pleasantly surprised by the end.

Basically, this Jewish community in New York has posted signs at their town's entrance asking visitors to dress modestly and 'maintain gender seperation'. At first I rolled my eyes. But then I changed my mind.

The comments from the local civil liberties union sealed the deal for me. I found the approach of this community to be refreshing.

Basically, the signs are privately funded, on private property, and correspond to no consequences. It is only a polite request by town residents (some of them) to respect their cultural habits while in the town. Imagine that! But it goes to show how divisive public property and public policy can be. And how uncontroversial and settled private property can be.

Like the stupid mosque issue. But there's a thread for that (my conclusion was that even if the mosque's builders were the worst ideologues, the best we could do is use our freedoms to protest and insult their beliefs).

I also found it ironic that someone visiting the town said, "I feel like my constitutional rights are being violated." If the town legally mandated these rules, that would be a problem I guess, but I found that this comment in particular smacked of the classic leftist attitude of entitlement.

I'm not sure what there is to discuss, but, again I'll say that I found the story to be refreshing. I'm glad something so controversial can also be so completely uncontroversial because of private property. Do you feel the same way?

Edited by ZSorenson