Objectivism Online Forum

Wikileaks: US Warns Allies of Potential Fallout

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

So there is a lot of noise about the next and upcoming Wikileaks release. As I say again, regardless of the views of anyone here on the matter of Wikileaks, this information is still relevant and important and can give us more knowledge about the political and foreign policy climate.

There are two main things being mentioned:

America is warning allies that they may hate the US after the next Wikileaks release. (cbc.ca) http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/11/24/wikileaks-ottawa.html

The U.S. government has notified Ottawa that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage U.S. relations with allies around the world.

A State Department spokesman said Wednesday the release of confidential communications about foreign governments probably will erode trust in the United States as a diplomatic partner.

U.S. diplomatic outposts around the world have begun notifying other governments that WikiLeaks may release the documents in the next few days.

I do not know if the second thing being mentioned is related to the U.S. governments worry about fallout or if this is an extra egg in the basket:

Wikileaks is planning to release files that show Turkey has helped al-Qaida in Iraq, according to London-based daily Al-Hayat. The newspaper also reported that the US helped the PKK, a Kurdish rebel organization.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?ID=196752&R=R1

I am hoping that this is what the U.S. is worried about, and not something else, but Assange has mentioned a video from..I believe it was Afghanistan that is supposedly some good sized "war-crime", but I have not see any news source state that this will be released in the new information package. Make no mistake, regardless of JP's neutral reference to the PKK they are very much viewed as a terrorist organization, even though their goal is to establish an independent Kurdish state in southeast Turkey, northern Iraq, and parts of Iran and Syria. They have committed at least 14 suicide bombings in the last 20 years and this rate is increasing, as well as female participation in said bombings. Since 2004 there have been claims of at least 5 other suicide bombings perpetrated by them. This is likely what was intended to be a secret mission much like what the CIA has done in its history to influence change, or at the very least, chaos, in nations that have been problematic for us.

For anyone unaware, the PKK has been waging a separatist war against Turkey since 1984.

Edited by CapitalistSwine