Objectivism Online Forum

Collateral (the Movie) Anyone Seen? Opinions?

Rate this topic

I just saw this movie the other day and I was wondering what you guys thought.

I was really impressed by the directing on this movie. I read a review on ign.com that compared it to a modern Crime and Punishment set in modern Los Angeles.

I was really impressed despite the horror I felt as the story progressed. Perhaps it was just me, but as soon as Max meets Vincent and they run their first "errand" together, I felt like I was emotionally and mentally sucked into this really depressing negative maelstorm. In my opinion, it was very well done though. For example, the club scene featuring "Ready Steady Go (remix w/Korean vocals)" by Paul Oakenfold utilizes music and visuals to create a synchronized picture that hits on two different gut levels.

It is sort of strange, normally when I watch movies that portray such gruesome pictures of life...I'm either bored or unimpressed. This was different though, and I found that despite the pretty lame ending...I was quite astonished at the quality of this movie.

If you have a strong stomach, I recommend this movie.

Has anyone seen Collateral? If so...what did YOU guys think?

Does anyone remember the Oakenfold song I'm talking about? :D

Does anyone know of any good techno that I should check out?

-Evan

• 3 months later...

I rented this movie not too long ago, and I thought it was pretty well done. It's interesting to watch the character development of both Max and Vincent, particularly Max; and there are poignant ethical overtones that you can't ignore while you're watching these two guys interact.

You can relate the main question of the film to the Objectivist ethics: How far should one put his life on the line to save innocent people? The answer: It depends on your knowledge of the victims. Vincent's character puts this on the table near the beginning of his and Max's relationship when talking about the victims in Rwanda. I'm not sure, however, what the director (Michael Mann) intended to convey in this regard, which was part of its brilliance as it's left to the viewer to decide based on his own moral values and standards. And that, of course, it what starts people talking.

Collateral was directed by Michael Mann, the same guy who did Heat. Tryptonique is right when he says that it's different than most movies with gruesome depictions of life. The thing I like about Michael Mann's movies is that he takes what would normally be mindless action movies with big explosions and puts real dialogue into them. The best example I can think of is in Heat when Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino sit down and have coffee with each other, knowing that they will both be trying to kill each other next time they meet. In Collateral, the whole movie is a dialogue between a career criminal and an average, every day guy as they try to understand each other. Excellent movie, and I hope Jamie Foxx gets the Oscar for best supporting actor tomorrow.

Edited by Moose

• 2 weeks later...

"Ready Steady Go" by Paul Oakenfold was also featured in the car chase scene in the movie The Bourne Identity. That song is on the album Bunnka, a pretty good album I might add. As far as techno music goes, I like all of the Crystal Method albums and the soundtrack to the movie Run Lola Run.

Collateral was one of my favorite movies of 2004. The character of Vincent played by Tom Cruise is one of the best movie villains I've seen in a while.