Objectivism Online Forum

Masculinity

Rate this topic

Hello All Objectivists,

Please can you all *fast track* me on this topic. I would like to know what you guys as Objectivists define and consider as masculinity. Perhaps I could look things like this up on the internet but I would like to have your insights here on Objectivism Online. I find the concept of masculinity very interesting. Although in my early years I think that I have operated mostly from a balanced masculinity and femininity in myself. Lately, I find I am happier when I operated mostly from my masculinity. Perhaps that is not very PC or perhaps I have a faulty premises in my thought process here.

What do you think? I always appreciate your input.

Superman

Search for the "Homosexuality vs. Heterosexuality" thread, which is I think over 50 or 60 pages long. There are also many, many other sex-related threads from the past which discuss masculinity and femininity. Beware: much rationalizing ensues.

After reading some of those threads, maybe you could submit your own ideas about the many facets of human sexuality here in this thread.... or just add to the existing threads.

I did not think that masculinity and sexuality would be considered the same topic.

Now that you mention it... yes, I guess they are separate, but related. Since Rand linked them so strongly, the threads at OO.net discussing either also tend to link them together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All Objectivists,

Please can you all *fast track* me on this topic. I would like to know what you guys as Objectivists define and consider as masculinity. Perhaps I could look things like this up on the internet but I would like to have your insights here on Objectivism Online. I find the concept of masculinity very interesting. Although in my early years I think that I have operated mostly from a balanced masculinity and femininity in myself. Lately, I find I am happier when I operated mostly from my masculinity. Perhaps that is not very PC or perhaps I have a faulty premises in my thought process here.

What do you think? I always appreciate your input.

Superman

It is an interesting topic and as James said it overlaps into many many threads. But Ayn Rand was far from homosexual so we can leave all the gay threads aside for a bit and consider the question of an intellectual woman during the rise of Feminism who had some subtle masculine traits of herself and wrote a lot about gender roles.

I consider most striking seeing Dagny in three different capacities, as an executive single and then with Rearden, as a housewife (more specifically as Galt's housekeeper), and then somewhat to our imagination, in all her proper femininity, under her hero and then rescuing her hero.

Her take on masculinity and femininity somewhat resembles that of other non feminist woman intellectuals such as

to the left, Camille Paglia (ouch!)

to the right, Celia Green

Her take on gender roles seems to me consistent every other area, most obviously ethics; neither abuse or allow to be abused. There is some sort of compensating force in play. (ex, her masculine traits in a heterosexual woman).