Objectivism Online Forum

What Is A Genius?

Rate this topic

dadmonson

People use this term so loosely and I know Peikoff answered this question in one of his podcasts but I can't find it right now.

The term genius is used to describe people with high IQs but it has also been used to describe great businessmen, musicians, artists, etc.

What's the difference between being a genius vs being really good at what you do?

How do you determine if one's a genius besides giving them an IQ test?

Peikoff said that genius is an extraordinary ability to handle abstractions.

Peikoff said that genius is an extraordinary ability to handle abstractions.

I can't find the podcast where he goes a little more in depth in what a genius is.

In the podcast he calls some people schmoes and compares himself to Moses. Do you have a link?

What's the difference between being a genius vs being really good at what you do?

How do you determine if one's a genius besides giving them an IQ test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

Based on the etymological roots of the term, genius ought to refer to someone who generates something new, perhaps an insight that revolutionizes a field of knowledge/endeavor, or creates the entire field itself. But it’s not a matter of IQ. For example Richard Feynman is said to have had an IQ of 125, which is high but nothing special (mine’s higher). At the time he was given a special exemption in order to attend Princeton, since his scores in English were too low while in Math he was off the charts. Another (very different) example is the opera singer Maria Callas, who has probably been the most influential figure in her field, but who, by most accounts, was dumb as a brick in virtually every other way.