Objectivism Online Forum

Hello, I'm Aurelia

Rate this topic

Welcome!

So, you're majoring in physics, and taking Latin/classics/philosophy for fun? Or are you incorporating them into minors and making it official? Sounds awesome, either way. I've met several physics majors in college (I'm studying engineering), and not a single one of them is interested in the humanities--so that's nice to hear.

Also, it's nice to see a new person from Arizona--I'm studying at UA.

I was asking this: Why do you say "objectivism" rather than "Objectivism"? Why do you choose to not capitalize the name -- the proper name -- of the philosophy which Ayn Rand created (and named "Objectivism")? Forum Rules prohibit such misspellings.
Thank you for correcting me, I will be more conscious of my typing. I can understand how that might make things confusing, especially when discussing such specific ideas with such precise terminology, but let's try not to make it a big deal. :)

So, you're majoring in physics, and taking Latin/classics/philosophy for fun? Or are you incorporating them into minors and making it official? Sounds awesome, either way. I've met several physics majors in college (I'm studying engineering), and not a single one of them is interested in the humanities--so that's nice to hear.

Also, it's nice to see a new person from Arizona--I'm studying at UA.

I had intended to minor in classics, but ASU doesn't offer the program It is being set up right now and the last I checked it wouldn't be offered for at least 8 years. So I am going to apply for a classics certificate and then build off that in graduate school. I am doing it for my own pleasure, but I still want credit for my work. If you ever meet someone named David Salas at UA please tell him you're an Objectivist too, and we're multiplying. :lol:

Aurelia :nuke:

If you ever meet someone named David Salas at UA please tell him you're an Objectivist too, and we're multiplying.  :)

If he's an Objectivist friend of yours, you might recommend that he join the Student Objectivist Society at UA (http://www.uasos.objectivismonline.net/join.php). I haven't seen anyone by that name at any of the meetings--we only get a few people.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site so I'll just tell you a bit about myself. If you don't care who I am, that's perfectly reasonable, you have no reason to. But please don't flame me, just don't read further.

I've been reading up on Objectivism for about 3 years, but I have no background in philosophy. So most of the advance topics are a bit beyond me. It's unfortunate that philosophy isn't offered in most high schools. That's why I'm in college,  :D .

I joined this site mostly because I am interested in political activism in the objectivist community and want to learn more. Specifically, I want to learn why objectivism is such a black mark for any politican, and how that can be remedied. I also have a few ideas of my own. Another reason I joined is because my objectivist club only meets on sundays (which I think is fitting, and somewhat ironic.) and doesn't meet during winter or summer break, since it's campus based. I need to talk to rational people more than once a week.

I am a freshman physics major at ASU. I wanted to say, because I've read a few of the previous posts. Americo, I love the second part of your sig, the Atlas Shrugged qoute. That is the subject I am going into. I always thought that it was inexpressibly right that man should have the power to control massive amounts of energy. Like holding a star in our hand. I am interesting in very high energy astrophysics. There are some interesting new ideas about different methods of energy production (I love that phrase :D ), some of the more known ones are antimatter/matter collision, and nuclear fusion. They all have serious technical bugs to be worked out, but that doesn't make it impossible. It's very possible and right.

Anyway, since I can't really discuss philosophy with any credibility, for the time being, I will mostly just read posts. So this will probably be the longest post I write, although I tend to be wordy.

Aurelia  :nuke:

Hello Aurelia,

As you can see from my last post, I'm very new at this. We have a little in common: I'm working in the Nuclear Power Industry. I was in the Navy for 6 years as a power plant operator. I now work at a closed down uranium processing facility in Southern Ohio on one of the DOE's cleanup companies. The nuclear power industry as a whole is washed up in this country due to the endless amount of red tape and government regulation. I would like to see Objectivism take hold in this country so the countless industries, like nuclear power, will not be regulated out of business. As far as spreading objectivism, like some of the other replies you've received, I would have to say that changing government currently is going to be impossible. The culture as a whole has to change. What we need is a full court press! Objectivism can be applied in every facet of our lives and can be spread