Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivism And The Environment

Rate this topic

Strangelove

And he only believes he has the right to build a shop there because he has bought something that was "public" property. He was lied to. I'll give back the share of the money I received if it'll make him feel better.

From your earlier posts you seem to believe that 'productive' use (in the sense of actually producing goods) somehow trumps 'non-productive' use, even when the person who is using the land non-productively is deriving rational pleasure from doing so. If this is an accurate statement of your position, then what is the basis for this? If it helps, we can imagine I was using my time spent sunbathing to write a novel, or even had a lemonade stand there, or was doing something similarly productive

No, you are not thinking this through right. After he BUYS it, it CEASES to be public property. If YOU wanted to continue to sunbathe, then you could have bought it YOURSELF. It's not about "productive use." The man who bought it could fence it off and bulldoze it into a mud pit, if he was the highest bidder.

What is your complaint about this arrangement? That you are hurt by it? How are you hurt by losing something you never had a right to in the first place? Listen, the fact is that "public property" is an invalid concept and it is hurting plenty of other people by costing them tax dollars. Anyone who pays for the park and DOESN'T sunbathe is being hurt right now.