Objectivism Online Forum

Newbie Says Hello

Rate this topic

Interesting.  Welcome to the forum.  You may learn quite a bit, although I definitely recommend reading some of Ayn Rand's books!

Please remember to capitalize Objectivism, too. ;)

I just bought The Fountainhead. I should enjoy it.

Oh, I never have really thought about what labels to give my beliefs.

All I can say is that I believe in as little government control over my life as possible, I believe in the right to pursue my own goals and achieve my own happiness, reason is my best weapon, and that there is truth and reality. I have been told that I am an anarcho-capitalist. I have studied the term a little bit lately, and it seems to fit me for the most part.

I am sure I will learn much here. Thank you for the welcome.

Weclome to the Forum, I take it you read fantasy with your avatar pic being an elf.

Yes, I love fantasy. And I love your quote from "Richard Rahl." ;) The Sword of Truth series is my absolute favorite fantasy series.

Sorry, all you Lord of the Rings fans. (w00t)

Yes, I love fantasy. And I love your quote from "Richard Rahl."  :) The Sword of Truth series is my absolute favorite fantasy series.

Sorry, all you Lord of the Rings fans.  ;)

Ah, well.

You do realize that Terry Goodkind is a very explicit admirer of Ayn Rand?

Anyways - welcome to the forum! I'm very happy to see that Objectivism is spreading through the culture to such a degree that one can get much of the right ideas from secondary sources.

Still, I'm sure you'll find the Fountainhead experience extremely rewarding - and Atlas Shrugged will blow your mind. :D

Hey, welcome to the forum! As others have said, this forum is a great place for intellectual discussion. I held many of Objectivism's premises and conclusions implicitly, but it wasn't until reading Atlas Shrugged that I figured out how to articulate correctly many of the things I was thinking. It was like being hit in the head with a 2x4. I am interested in what you will think of Miss Rand, since you seem to hold much of her philosophy explicitly (much more so than I did anyway. :D )

Two questions:

Where did you draw most of your philosophy and politics from?

What exactly is "anarcho-capitalism"? How does this differ from laissez-faire capitalism?

Again welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay! :)

Zak

PS: Read Atlas Shrugged after you finish The Fountainhead.

Hey, welcome to the forum! As others have said, this forum is a great place for intellectual discussion. I held many of Objectivism's premises and conclusions implicitly, but it wasn't until reading Atlas Shrugged that I figured out how to articulate correctly many of the things I was thinking. It was like being hit in the head with a 2x4. I am interested in what you will think of Miss Rand, since you seem to hold much of her philosophy explicitly (much more so than I did anyway.  :D

Two questions:

Where did you draw most of your philosophy and politics from? 

What exactly is "anarcho-capitalism"? How does this differ from laissez-faire capitalism?

Again welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay!  :)

Zak

PS: Read Atlas Shrugged after you finish The Fountainhead.

To answer your first question, my philosophy and politics came from many different things. Personal experiences (especially mistakes I made, and I am sure I will make plenty more hehe), desires and goals that I want to achieve, movies and books that I relate to and, believe it or not, my catholic upbringing. While blind faith makes no sense to an agnostic such as I, I do have to say that I did get some of my sense of right and wrong from religion. There is a lot of the right ideas for the wrong reasons to be found in some organized religions. *shrugs*

I think erandror answered some of your second question, and I answered the other part in my reply to him. ;)

Oh, and I do plan to read Atlas Shrugged after I finish The Fountainhead.

Yes, I love fantasy. And I love your quote from "Richard Rahl." smile.gif The Sword of Truth series is my absolute favorite fantasy series.

Sorry, all you Lord of the Rings fans. wink.gif

Terry Goodkind is my favorite Author and the one who lead me to Objectivsim in the frist place. I am a lover of fantasy as well, oh, and Lord of the Rings is what led me to being a fan of fantasy, so you can say that I am a fan of LOTR.